eighth shot.

(eighth shot)

08 | In which they love each other
more than they can express.

Bella eventually got used to parties because of her own work, it was easy to be mistaken for a prostitute and get paid to attend such events for a night full of benefits after that. There were many elegant dresses she bought for just such a situation, but she didn't refuse her fiancé's offer to pay her a new dress.

Tommy was setting up for the Lee, to captivate Billy Kimber he decided it would be a good idea — though not to be — to take the barmaid to the races. Bella could predict there would be no time for fun at this party.

Bella could predict there would be no time for fun at this party. In the gold-rimmed mirror there was more gold in her reflection, the sparkling gown stretched to her knees and fringes down to her calves.

The pearls on her neck highlighted the caramel color of her skin, and the golden gloves on her long fingers gave her the lightness that a daylight event required. The soles of her silk shoes had never touched Birmingham's dirty ground before and were already being carried away from Small Heath.

Her short hair was falling in sleek waves and stopping just above her shoulders, and a scarf draped over her back toward her shoulder blades. Bella might not have pink cheeks and milky skin so idolized among men, but she certainly considered herself a beautiful woman, and she would look even prettier when she dressed according to the amount of pounds that came into her hands.

She turned her back and crossed the room after leaving the room, and put her hand on the doorknob and turned it. Tommy said he would meet her in Cheltenham, so it was no surprise for her to see a boy with a very familiar hat.

"Mrs. Andriessen" the boy touched the brim of his hat where there would surely be stitched blades and held out a hand for her to hold. She rested her hand on the boy's palm and he helped her into the car.

"Is your boss in Cheltenham already?"

"He's on his way, Mrs. Andriessen" The boy started driving after Bella sat comfortably in the passenger seat.

"I'm going in the front door, will I?"

"Yes, Mrs. Andriessen."

She liked how her last name sounded.

But Mrs. Shelby...

It was what she would be like when Tommy finally got out of all the trouble that came in from the damn weapons and the Belfast investigator, she didn't know if that day would come and if she would like to be called the same surname of such a dangerous man. She wanted her last name, wanted to be known for everything she did, for being dangerous and not having the fame of her future husband always in front of her.

On the way to Cheltenham, Bella thought about her own way of life and how much she would have to go if she wanted to reach Tommy. As she got out of the car, Rebecca was waiting for her in the driveway with a glass of champagne, her pink dress stood out and she looked more like one of the rich married ladies inside.

Bella felt the eyes of almost everyone in the room as she walked through the door and one of the staff took the coat off her shoulders.

"What a beautiful dress" Rebecca commented with a smile on the corner of her lips, was obviously teasing by the fact that Bella was paying attention to herself. Tommy's watchdog didn't leave the two women, Bella glanced over her shoulder to see the boy's scowl.