seventh shot.

(seventh shot)

07 | in which she
doesn't obey.

The sound of cars outside the window bothered her. Bella breathed, propped her elbow on the table and rubbed her forehead. The news about Tommy walking around with The Garrison's barmaid bothered her, but she was sure she wouldn't have enough desire to question him.

She was busy with her own business, and the announcement of the recent party where Billy Kimber would be was making her a little more worried than Tommy's night getaways.

Most of her girls were at a Sabini party and were asked a group of ten dancers.

She ran her fingertips over the paper, smooth as rich things should be. Bella leaned back in her chair and looked outside, the presence of a pale girl wearing a dark dress making her frown.

Well, she knew that face for sure.

Bella waited for Rebecca's entrance, knowing that her assistant would communicate with her if that familiar figure came to talk to her.

There were two knocks on the door.

"Bella?"

Rebecca's voice said from the other side of the door.

"You can let her in, Rebecca," she answered before the woman asked. After the door opened, Bella smiled at Ada Shelby, Tommy's young sister staring at her with a smile.

"Bella."

Bella gathered the papers on her desk and set them neatly back on the surface of the room, giving the young woman a wistful smile.

"Hello, Ada."

"Are you busy?"

"No, I always have a free time for you," pointed the chair across the table. "Sit down, want something to drink?"

Ada approached and sat down.

"If there's anything stronger than wine, I'd appreciate it."

Bella and Ada's relationship was always good, Bella's aunt liked Ada, was the only Shelby who had the woman's sympathy. Ada always played at Bella's house when they were both kids, but the time and troubles pushed them as far apart as Tommy and Bella once.

"Rebecca, can you bring me an Scotch, please?"

Her assistant nodded, finally closing the door.

"So how are you? Have you tired of Tommy's shit?"

Bella smiled.

"It's a little pathetic of me, don't you think?" Bella's fingertips hit the mahogany on her desk. "Is Small Heath already laughing at me behind my back?"

Ada leaned back in her chair.

"I think they're too busy laughing at me" Ada smiled back, her eyes looking tired. "Didn't Tommy tell you about the news?"

"Tommy no, but I get the news to me like rats run to the cheese" Bella clasped her hands together. "Freddie must be happy, he always talked about how forming a family with you would be his greatest accomplishment."

Behind the sadness, Ada's eyes brightened.

"He told?"

Bella nodded vehemently, smiling.

"You know, Freddie can be a lot of things, but he's not bad. He always helped my grandma, always helped me when I needed it, Tommy can say whatever he wants, but I know Freddie well."