sixth shot.

(sixth shot)

06 | in which she understands and ignores.

For Bella, the math of love was not as simple as couples who had been married for a long time seemed to prove it. Love was too complex, more than the bills she made every month to be fair to her employees, more than the choice of fabrics she had to make to be durable, beautiful, and cheap material.

More than being who she was, Isabella Andriessen, a business woman when business was a thing for men.

But Bella understood that there were instincts about love that were very simple to understand, one of which was to protect and care for the one she loved, and that was why her face was unmoved by seeing Chester Campbell and his men inside her office, treating the place where she worked as a brothel any.

Quietly, Bella pulled the drawer from her desk and took out a beige paper document, placed it on the table, and tapped the paper with the tip of her index finger twice.

"Not wanting to be disrespectful at all, Inspector," she said softly, leaning back in her chair and folding her hands over her lap. "But my theater is totally within the law, as you can see."

"I'm sorry for not believing that a piece of paper from a gangster woman is written," the Inspector said without bothering to see the document. "Scan everything, if he left it here, it will be here."

"I don't know what you're looking for, but unless they're feathered and dressed, there's nothing here that the police could be interested in." Bella continued in a soft voice. "I would love it if you did your job a little faster."

"I have no habit of listening to what street sluts tell me to do."

"How wonderful, because I'm not a slut, let alone a street slut. My fiance fought in the war, Mr. Campbell, you should have more regard for the man's woman who did what you didn't have the courage to do. "

The fury in the inspector's eyes was very visible, Bella held a small smile on her lips that would make the devil himself want to wrap his hands around her neck and suffocate her to death. It was in her nature to put more alcohol on the fire and watch it rise, Chester Campbell's men were there, rummaging through her office and she doubted that his 'masculine pride' would lead him to assault her in any way.

And since she knew men like him, all he did was pry up his chin in a failed attempt to hold back that remnant of honor his subordinates seemed to believe he had.

"We didn't find anything, sir." One of his men spoke broke the silence after opening the door to Bella's office.

Bella smiled broadly, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her interlaced fingers.

"Have a good trip back, Mr. Inspector." She said last.

"Let's leave this house of perdition. "

Despite her confident posture, she couldn't spare the sigh of relief when Inspector Campbell left her theater. Her hands were shaking a little, nervous about the situation and anxiety about the possibility of Tommy being killed by those damn weapons.

Bella tried to distract her mind with the men who knew of the rumor Johnny Doggs had spread about her hiring men. And as the morning passed by, she tried harder not to have to remember the anger she was feeling for the disgusting man entering her theater without her permission.