Chapter 23: The Case

Third person POV

Sebastian and Aviva brought up the tea and snacks to the salon. Sebastian poured everyone's tea and Aviva stood behind Ciel.

"He struck again. Another prostitute was found gruesomely murdered in Whitechapel. These killings are far from normal. The level of violence we're seeing is unprecedented." Ciel said.

"The most recent victim was a woman named Mary Ann Nichols. It appears a special type of blade was used on her. She was torn up beyond recognition." Sebastian followed. Ciel ate and I tried not to look at Madame Red or Grell.

"The murderer's distinctive style has earned him a uni nickname from the press. Jack the Ripper." Ciel said.

"A frightening name, eh?" Lau commented.

"That's why I'm here earlier than expected. I hurried into town to look into the situation for myself." Ciel said with his eyes closed.

"Hm." Lau said putting his teacup down. "But are you sure you'll be brave enough to stomach the crime scene?" Lau asked. Ciel glared at him.

"What do you mean by that? Ciel asked coldly.

"The sight of the dismembered body will certainly be horrific. And one could only imagine the stench." Lau said standing up. "Blood and gore everywhere. Certainly not a place for a young lady. Surely it would be more than enough to drive some men mad." He said approaching Ciel's seat, looking at me.

"Then it's a good thing I'm not a man." Aviva said confidently. Ciel and Sebastian smirked at the comment. Aviva was studying to be a forensic scientist in college. She has seen much worse than anything Jack the Ripper has done.

"Are you prepared to see such a thing?" Lau said grabbing Ciel's cheek. Aviva went to stop him but Sebastian held her back. "You're just a young boy, after all." He said.

"I am the head of the Phantomhives and service to my queen. Don't ask foolish questions." Ciel said glaring at Lau.

"You're right. So sorry." Lau said insincerely.

Aviva looked up and made eye contact with Grell.

Aviva POV

I felt a sharp pain in my head after I looked at Grell. I winced and grabbed my head.

"Please excuse me." I said in a quick whisper. I bolted out of the room and pain grew. I whimpered and took a few steps then fell to my knees. I closed my eyes and images of the crime scenes flashed in my head. Then I saw Grell in his reaper form with Madame Red, attacking Ciel and Sebastian. Why was I not there? I have to be there I can help them! The same images just kept flashing on repeat. "S-s-sebas-" I barely managed to whisper out before the demon himself left the room. The pain wouldn't stop. He quickly came to my side.

"What is it?" He asked me softly, putting one hand on my back and the other on my arm.

"My head." I could barely bring my voice above a whisper. I guess Sebastian could tell something was really wrong. He helped me up to my feet and walked me to my room. He sat me in the chair by my bed and knelt in front of me. I looked him in his deep crimson eyes. And then just like that...it stopped. I looked up, very confused; and a bit scared. It all stopped. The pain, the visions...gone. Sebastian was visibly concerned. "Huh....I'm fine." I said looking at him. "It stopped." I said quietly.

"What happened?" He asked, his concern turning to confusion. I wasn't sure how to answer.

"I think it would be best if I told you and Ciel together." I said.

"Does this have to do with how you knew to look for Ciel the day he was kidnapped?" He asked standing up. I nodded. "Come. We should clean up." He offering his hand. I took it and stood up and followed him out.