Chapter 34: Chess Nap

Aviva POV

I wonder what Sebastian could want. He's never asked me to talk to him like that before. At least I don't think. Has me a little nervous. I hope everything's ok. I left the laundry room and made my way to the salon. I was very hesitant to open the doors but they were opened for me. Sebastian opened the doors from the inside of the salon.

"Please sit down, Miss Faye." He told me. Miss Faye? Shit. I walked inside and sat down on the couch silently. He just stood in front of me. "Miss Faye, I would like you to tell me about yourself and where you come from. Tell me your past." He said. Fuck. I guess he could see that made me nervous. "You have nothing to be nervous about if you have nothing to hide." He said. I can't. It's too early. No one can know yet. I smiled lightly.

"I'll tell you another time. Perhaps when we are all back at the manor." I said. I stood up and went to the door but Sebastian beat me to it, blocking the door.

"You can't keep the past a secret forever, Aviva. I will know your story." He said brooding over me. I looked up at him and smiled.

"I know you will Sebastian. Just not today." I said calmly. He just looked at me for a moment before opening the door for me. He watched me walk away. I was finished with chores so I went to my room.

Wait Sebastian said 'I will,' not 'we will.' Does he want to know my past for himself? Why? What could he possibly gain from it? Is it because I'm the only one on the manor whose past he doesn't know? I did just appear literally out of no where. Why would he care? I'm just another human to him. I'm no one...nothing to him. I walked into the game room and went to the chess table. I sat down and looked at the chess set. I need to pick up my game. Ciel is bound to ask to me to play any day now. I started with white and started a game against myself.

(Time skip)

Sebastian POV

I checked my pocket watch and it's getting late. I haven't seen Miss Aviva since our brief encounter in the salon. I walked to her room and knocked on the door.

"Miss Aviva? It's time to prepare the young master's dinner." I said. No response. No sound at all. I knocked louder. "Aviva?" I called. "I'm coming in." I said before opening the door.

I slowly entered her room. She's not in here. Perhaps she went for a ride. I quickly made my way to the stables. All horses accounted for. Where is she? I went back into the townhouse and began my search. Perhaps the young Earl has seen her. I knocked on the door of his study and he told me to enter.

"Yes, Sebastian?" He asked coldly.

"You wouldn't happen to know the whereabouts of Miss Aviva, would you sir?" I asked stepping forward.

"No. Is she missing again?" He asked bluntly.

"It appears so. I will continue my search for her." I said.

"Find her now, Sebastian. That's an order." He said sternly. I put my hand over my chest and bowed.

"Yes my lord." I said before leaving.

I quickly made my way around the floor. I can't even sense her. Why? She has to be more than human. I made my way downstairs and went around the main hall. I was drawn to the game room. I couldn't sense her inside but I had to check. I opened the door and found her at the chess set. Asleep. Chess pieces scattered on the board and floor. I sighed and walked over to her. I knelt next to her and put my hand on her back. That didn't faze her. I gently rubbed her back. Why am I so gentle with her? She started to stir.

"Aviva." I said softly. She slowly opened her eyes. "Hello." I said.

"Hi, Sebastian." She whispered.

"It's time to prepare dinner." I said softly. She gasped gently.

"Ooh food." She said. She's so sleepy.

"Are you hungry, Miss Aviva?" I asked her. She nodded. "Then we should get you some dinner." I said smirking.

She nodded and slowly sat up. Her hair was a bit messy, her headband was slanted, and her shirt was wrinkled. She rubbed her eyes and looked at me. I smiled and shook my head. She's like a child. I would normally find that irritating but with her it's...it's almost endearing. I stood up and offered my hand. She took it and stood up. I took her out of the game room and she didn't let go of my hand. For some reason...I didn't mind. I looked down at her and she looks like she's still asleep. Once we reached the kitchen I brought her to the table and sat her down. She is in no condition to cook. I'll fix dinner and make her some tea to wake her up.

As I quickly prepared dinner, I stopped when I heard a strange sound. Almost like a faint purring. I turned and saw Aviva asleep on the table. She's...she's snoring. Quietly though. She needs to wake up before we face Jack the Ripper. Once I finished dinner I started on the tea. I heard her whimper and I turned to her. She's shaking. Nightmare. I rushed to her side and gently shook her. She isn't waking.

"Aviva." I said sternly. She's becoming more distressed. "Aviva!" I said shaking her harder. How is she so deep in sleep? After shaking and practically shouting her name, what woke her was the tea kettle whistling. She jumped awake and panicked. "Aviva, it's ok it was just a dream." I said grabbing her shoulders. She burst into tears and grabbed my arms. I know my young master suffers from nightmares frequently, but when Miss Aviva has them I...I pity her. Why!? Why do I feel for this mere mortal? I keep asking myself this and it's beginning to irritate me. She covered her mouth with her hand and I gently put my hand on the side of her face. "What did you see?" I asked her quietly. My head turned at the sound of a bell ringing. That'll be for the young master's dinner. I looked back to her. "I'll be right back. I need to serve the young master's dinner." I told her. She nodded and hesitantly let go of my arm.

I left her and quickly served the young earl his dinner. I returned to Miss Aviva, probably quicker than I ought to have. I found her looking down. Her tears silently fell to the floor. I walked over and knelt in front of her. I took her chin and made her face me. She just looked at me sadly.

"What did you see?" I asked her. She looked down.

"Cinematic record." She said quietly. My eyes widened. How?! Only reapers can view them during the reaping.

"Whose?" I asked, almost sternly. She pursed her lips and shook her head. "Aviva, it is imperative that you tell me whose cinematic record you saw." I said. She started crying silently.

"Madame Red's." She said. I nodded. Interesting. It is not possible this is unprompted. No matter. She is shaken enough already.

"It was just a bad dream. You don't have to worry about her. Come. Let's get you some dinner. You need your strength for tonight." I said softly. She sniffled and nodded.

I got up to get her dinner. I made a thick vegetable soup. I'm not sure why, but I hope she enjoys it. She turned into the table and put her head in her hands. I poured her a bowl and walked back to her. She sat up and I placed the bowl and spoon in front of her. She thanked me and started eating. Her eyes went wide and I moved next to her.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, concerned. She looked up at me and nodded.

"It's really good." She said. I smiled.

"I'm glad you think so. I'll have your tea ready in just a minute." I said before going back to the stove.

I poured her a cup of raspberry tea. I'm not sure what made me choose raspberry, but something told me she would enjoy it. I handed her her tea and she thanked me. She took a sip and sighed.

"How did you know?" She asked me.

"How did I know what, Miss Aviva?" I asked her.

"Raspberry. It's my favourite." She said before drinking more.

"Just a feeling, Miss Aviva. Nothing more." I said smiling. She smiled back and went back to her dinner.

I've never met anyone like Aviva. Human or not. Her smile brightens rooms. The way she talks just draws people to her. Like a siren, but as human as they come. Sirens use their voices to attract sailors to their deaths. Her voice brightens the lives around her. It's like I wish she was more than human. Why? What more could she be? What more could I want her to be?