Chapter 9: A Ride to Remember

Aviva POV

I looked off into the forest. There was so much potential. I laughed and sent the horse into a gallop. It was amazing.

The wind blasting my face felt sublime. I was dodging branches left and right. A few stray ones hit me and put little cuts on the side of my face. I didn't even care. This felt amazing.

I felt untouchable. Nothing could ruin this. Nothing could touch me. Nothing could hurt me. I laughed against the wind. I was so happy in this moment. I heard rushing water and slowed my horse down to a slow walk. After a few minutes we made it to a creek.

I dismounted so he could get a drink. He got a quick drink and got closer to me. We shared a nice little bonding moment. I pet his nose and he nuzzled me. I laughed and hugged his head. I sat in the grass and enjoyed my surroundings.

I'm a frequent daydreamer. It was becoming a real problem back home. I would start daydreaming in the middle of class and before I could realise any time had really passed, class was over. I can spend hours daydreaming. Which is exactly what I ended up doing. Oops? I noticed the sun started setting. I stood up and pet the horse.

"Ok boy. I guess it's time to head back, eh?" I said petting him. I tried to remount him. I kept jumping to reach the stirrup. I sighed in defeat. Then what happened astounded me. The stallion laid down so I could mount him. I thanked him and easily mounted him.

I pet his neck then sent him into a gallop back to the manor. I enjoyed every moment of the ride back. However, a though occurred to me and destroyed my free spirit.

If I kept running maybe I would get home. Slowly, I stopped dodging the branches, letting them hit me and cut my face and neck. It was too long before I realised I was crying. Why am I crying? Do I even want to go back? What did I have to live for back home?

Ciel gave me a new life here. He gave me a purpose. He gave me a family. A reason to live for my new life. No one from my world would be waiting for me to come back. No one was wondering where I had gone. Or if I was coming back at all. Maybe that's why I was crying. My life in my world was essentially pointless.

I had managed to force back my tears by the time I got back. I had slowed down the gallop to a walk. Finny saw me...he was happy to see me. That made me want to cry more. Someone was actually happy to see me come back. Haven't had that luxury in a long time.

"Hi Aviva! How was your ride?" He asked. As cheery as always. He noticed my face. "Aviva what happened to you?" He asked approaching the horse.

"Don't worry about it Finny, I'm ok." I lied. I didn't want to bring his mood down. I would never want him to be sad. "I'm going to head inside. You should too, it's going to get dark soon." I said looking down at him.

I stopped the horse just outside the stable. I dismounted him and walked him inside. I took off his saddle and gave him some fresh food and water. I closed his gate up and pet his snout.

"I see you're back. I trust you had a pleasant ride Miss Aviva." I could recognise that stoic voice anywhere.

Damn it. Of all people to see me now...it had to be him. I hadn't even seen what my face looked like...but it couldn't be pleasant. My cuts sting and I just knew my eyes were swollen from crying. I sighed and turned to him. I smiled with my eyes closed.

"I had a lovely ride Sebastian." I said before opening my eyes. I didn't even hear him coming near me. When I opened my eyes, there were mere inches separating us. A look of concern in his eyes.

"What on earth did you do to yourself, Aviva?" He said gently taking my chin to examine my cuts. I didn't even jump when I saw him. I must be too numb from crying. Wait. He called me 'Aviva,' no miss. Shit. He wasn't messing around.

"I got hit by some branches while galloping." I said avoiding his gaze. He sighed and took my hand.

"Come. I'll get you cleaned up." He said leading me to the kitchen. I couldn't look at him. I couldn't tell him why I stopped dodging them. I didn't want to disappoint him. I kept my eyes on the ground.

My eyes were glued to the floor when we entered the kitchen. Bard saw me and smiled. Sebastian sat me down at the table.

"Hey Aviva! How was-" He stopped when he saw my face. Sebastian went to get a first aid kit. Bard rushed over and knelt in front of me. He raised my head to his eye level.

"What happened to you, kid?" He asked quietly, examining my fresh wounds. He wiped a spot of blood off my cheek. I fought back tears. He was very gentle with me.

"Baldroy stand aside." Sebastian said coming back with ointment and bandages. Bard pulled up a chair to sit in front of me while Sebastian was to my right.

Sebastian put some alcohol on a cloth and looked at me. He gently took my chin between his index finger and thumb and moved my head so I was face to face with him.

"I apologise, this might hurt." He said before placing the cloth on my cuts. I flinched. He kept dabbing my face. It stung beyond belief.

I whimpered and a few tears fell. Those tears were the cracks that broke the dam. I couldn't hold back crying anymore. My few tears from the cuts turned into waterfalls.

"What happened on that ride, kid?" Bard said putting his hand on my back. I couldn't. I felt so ashamed, letting them see me like this. I covered my eyes with my right arm, preventing Sebastian from continuing.

"I'm sorry." I whispered before rushing back to my room, leaving the two in silence.