Chapter 1

"I used to see the beauty in the world and now I see the truth." Westworld

Normal life is a constant struggle. Humans of the modern era have spent their lifetimes working hard to accomplish the "to-do list to have a good life". They have been working their entire lives to build an impressive career, to own a house, and to raise a family. For centuries, This has been the definition of a successful good life for human beings.

No matter how different humans are, they have the same general boring goal everywhere in the world.

What if for some reason a normal life is just a dream.

An impossible dream...

The room was too quiet, she could hear the sweet sounds of birds singing outside in the garden. It was a bright sunny day. The sunlight was shining through the window and the warmth invaded all the space in the room. One of the walls in the room was covered with a giant library filled with books.

Looking from the outside, anybody would think that her books probably were her only friends. Sarah Porter has too many to read in a lifetime. Some would say that a book is just a story to comfort us because it would feel less lonely to be hooked up in someone else's story. Indeed, it would be less lonely to forget for a little bit about one's life and reality. And she wanted so badly to melt into this escape room for as long as she could. Everyone was escaping something after all, whether it was a person, a bad condition, or even a haunting memory.

Her hair lightened up under the touch of the sun rays, they looked like gold. Her face was hidden behind the book she was reading. She was extremely focused on the words to the point that no matter what happens, nothing would distract her. Her mind was already in another world, the imaginary world she creates while reading the words of the story. If she was immersed in her imaginary land, nothing and nobody could keep her from reaching the end of the pages eventually.

Unless it was her mom.

"Sarah..Sarah,'' her mom called her from downstairs.

She didn't hear her.

She didn't answer.

The mother yelled again.

Interrupted by her persistent mother's calls, she closed her eyes annoyed.

"Yes! What?"

"Come eat." Her mother yelled.

"I'm coming.'' She yelled back but still didn't move a muscle.

It was more than frustrating to interrupt her while she was absorbed by a book. Or maybe it was the fact that she preferred to stay in the imaginary world. Indeed, she was hiding away from something. Something that was probably too tricky to hide away from.

But it was impossible to hide away from oneself. Even though she felt exhausted from this tiring feeling. For years she had been on the run. It seemed like an endless whirlpool.

Looking back, how much she has gone through these past few years! It was too disturbing, too unbearable to handle, but somehow, she survived. She ultimately found a way to invent a new kind of life for herself, her own kind of normal life.

Coping with something unimaginable was practically impossible. But, humans tend to survive no matter what comes in their way. We fall down and get broken so many times in a lifetime, physically and psychologically, but we get back on our feet or we die. There is no other way: Live or die.

It was four years ago when Sarah's life turned upside down. She was head over heels about a man. She had been seeing him for a year. He was a video editor she met online on a social media website. Even though he was leading a normal life and could be described as a man full of flaws, she was crazy about him. Looking from afar, some would say he was a charming good-looking man. But he was just another selfish lost man with no other obsession than to be a famous millionaire. He had no room for anything in his life other than his hopeless obsession and she was too blinded by love to see it.