Take The Long Way Home

Start from the beginning

"Guys, don't be rude," Roger commands the attention of his friends. "We have guests."

I fought the urge to cover my face when the guys all turned to look at us. My eyes briefly meet with Brian's, but I immediately look away, keeping them focused on my feet.

"This is... uh," Roger squints, trying to recall my best friend's name.

"Diana," she answers for him, and smiles to the rest of the group.

"Diana!" Roger repeats. "And her friend... uh,"

It took me a moment to realize that it was my turn to introduce myself. It was as if everyone's eyes were boring holes into me when I finally got the courage to speak.

"I'm Nancy," I mumble. I felt I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears as I spoke.

"And Nanny." Roger proudly gestures to me. I wasn't brave enough to correct him, but luckily Diana was.

"Nancy, not Nanny," Diana laughs, making the entire band have a chuckle at Roger's expense.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes to me. "The drums must've fucked my ears up."

I gave Roger a polite smile, and waited while Diana talked about their performance and gushed over how amazing they were. Roger and Freddie ate her compliments up, happy that they had such a successful first gig. Brian and John seemed a bit quieter and more humble about the experience, mostly keeping to packing up their equipment.

"I just can't believe it was your first!" Diana marvels.

"And it won't be our last, darling." Freddie smirks. He had moved from his spot on the floor to stand with us.

"So can we talk about the elephant in the room?" Diana asks, rather unexpectedly. Her look of mischief has returned.

"What might that be?" Roger wonders aloud.

"I couldn't help but notice there's a certain smell in the air." She sings. "Do you mind sharing some?"

I look at her quizzically, wondering what she was going on about. It seemed I was the only one ignorant to the situation since everyone around me started to laugh.

"You smoke?" Roger raises his eyebrows at Diana. "We were actually about to head back to ours if you'd like to join in for a sesh." He offers.

Diana turns to me as if asking for permission.

"Uh I really need to be getting back home..." I remind her. Diana must've gone mad if she thinks I would accept his offer.

"Aw come on, Nance!" She groans. "It'd be real quick, I promise! In and out."

"Diana, do you even realize what my parents would-" I pause, taking notice of the five sets of eyes now on me. "I don't think it'd be safe for you to drive me back after you've gotten high."

"I've heard people say it makes you drive more carefully though..." Diana argues her case. "Plus, maybe if you tried some you'd loosen up a bit."

"I don't-"

"I could take you home now if you want."

The sound of Brian's voice directed at me so suddenly made my heart race. He closes up his guitar case and slings it under one arm. I had been trying to avoid looking at him the entire time we'd been in this room, but now I have no choice. There was something about him that made me incredibly nervous. Its as if my brain shuts down when our eyes meet.

"I don't smoke, so it wouldn't be a problem." He shrugs. Everything about him was so perfect. It's like I have tunnel vision, and the rest of the world fades away as I stare at his face. All I can do is take in his dark eyes, his soft curly hair, and his lips that are curling into a smile meant just for me. I wonder what it'd be like to kiss those lips...

"Yes, that'd be brill!" Diana cheers. "Are you okay with that, Pants?"

"Mhm..." I agree. I didn't have the brain capacity to argue with her, or think about what consequences could come from what I just said yes to. I didn't even complain about her calling me "Pants" again- because I was far too entranced with the tall guitarist.

"Alright, you lot go have fun." Brian tells the group, just before he made his way to the door. I watch him walk away, and it isn't until he looks over his shoulder to see if I was following that I realized what I had agreed to.

Am I really going to do this? Let a random- albeit very handsome- man drive me home? Never in my life had I been alone with a boy before, as it was always frowned upon by my parents. If they ever knew I was getting into a strange man's car they'd have my head.

"You coming?" Brian asks.

I stood there slack-jawed for a moment, just weighing the pros and cons. Ultimately, my feet decided to move before my brain even started to list the cons.