Chapter 29

The days following Harry's departure were extremely hard. I felt myself become lonely, almost silent. I craved his constant company. It's all I wanted, really. I wanted his touch to caress my skin. His fingertips trailing down my arm lightly causing shivers to creep their way up my spine. That feeling is the only one I wanted as well as the endless moments of his sweet gestures.

I was in a pair of pants with a thick sweatshirt pulled over my head. I had a pair of rain boots clad to my feet since it had rained the previous night. It was relatively nice outside so I took it upon myself to take a walk. 

The sun was just rising over the horizon spreading it's fingertips across the grassy open fields of the empty training grounds. The brisk air around me was comforting and I welcomed it instead of loathing the winter months to come. The cool air opened my lungs allowing me to breathe in the crisp fresh air. Admittedly, I leave my bedroom window open once in a while so I can fall asleep to the fresh air. It helps now since a cold has found its way into my system.

I walked for what seemed like hours. Left right, left right, just walking by myself. The hours I didn't have to occupy my time with, I needed to find a way to escape from boredom. Harry was my fun. Not in the way you are thinking, but he really was one of my best friends. I could never grow tired of his charming and sweet personality. 

I sat down on the wet ground looking over the horizon. My legs were collapsed against my chest, my arms wrapped around my legs and my head resting against my knees. I watched as the birds' silhouettes went across the orange colored sky in groups of a variety of numbers. 

Calm. This is how I would describe life right now. There wasn't much going on but to find nothing to occupy my time with. I worried about Harry of course. I wondered how he was getting on, if he was staying safe. I wanted nothing more than Christmastime to come already. I wanted to feel his warm embrace and his face buried into my neck. 

I could hear the galloping of horses from a ways a way. I couldn't be bothered to turn around and see who the person was. The tall brown horse stopped in front of me. I looked up to see King Desmond himself before me wearing a frown on his face.

"We were worried about you, Emerald," he said dismounting the horse. He removed his brown leather gloves and pet the horse's head. "How long have you been out here for?"

"A while," I shrugged looking up at the leader of my kingdom. "Why are you out here?"

"I was sent to look for you," he said. I gave a nod not attempting to move from my spot. "I know you and my son are quite close, Emerald. I also know you don't agree with my decision to send him to battle. My son needs to be taught what responsibility is, he grew up having things handed to him."

"It seems more of a punishment to him than to you," I said looking up at the king. 

"That may be true," he nodded. "I stand by my word. I am a man of my words after all."

I stayed silent just staring at the green grass that was illuminated by the sunlight. I placed my hands on the dew filled strands of green. Each piece tickling the insides of my fingers as I looked at the ground. I was aware of King Desmond lowering himself to the ground beside me. His green eyes looked out to the horizon. They look just like Harry's. They are father and son after all.

"Beautiful Ula," he smiled looking at me. "I will never get tired of looking at my land. Living here for my entire life, I have learned to embrace its beauty."

I nodded letting out a heavy breath and stared at the sky that was coming to blind me. I glanced over at Harry's father. I felt as if I was in an awkward position since he was the one who forced Harry to leave the safety of the palace grounds.