Chapter 13: A Problem

Start from the beginning

"I do not, lord," I said, my voice trembling. "Which is why I'm trying to answer your questions proper."

"Answer both."

"My mamma is poorly, Lord. They say she won't survive winter—"

"Who says?"

"My auntie and sister, Lord."

"Alright, go on."

It was almost as if he were looking for cracks in my guise. "Gyran Pyke intercepted us on our way out. He was waiting for servants leaving the house to tell us that we couldn't because... because you arrived early."

"And then, what?"

"And then I panicked, Lord. I'm not supposed to leave till the first year of indenture is up. But when I left home a month ago, my mamma was fine, I didn't know she'd—"

"And you're here, why?"

"Hiding. I thought the room was empty, m'lord..."

"Where are my guards?" he asked again, as if I had never told him all of Abetha's story.

Then he opened the door, soft lamplight streamed into the room. I could see the details of his black sleep cap and dark tunic. His face, even the colour of his skin, was not so apparent. I had enough distance from the sword to fall to my knees and bow my head.

Hiding my face from him.

"I don't know, my Lord..."

"Where do you think they've gone?"

That was a strange thing to ask. But he wanted an answer, so I tried. "Were they your own men, my lord?"

"No. They were Acavia men loaned to me by Lady Leah Acavia. They had roses on their uniforms."

"Would Lady Leah Acavia know?"

He said, "Get up and start walking. Let's go ask her why I was left unprotected tonight."

With my head still bowed, I got to my feet and began walking ahead of Lord Waryn Eloroan. I couldn't stop shivering.

I had never faced the sharp end of a sword before. I had never so much as touched a scabbard of one.

Only merchants and soldiers were allowed weapons designed to slaughter. The common people could only carry weapons used in hunting. Under the Lords' protection, killing others was unnecessary for us.

That, at least, was fortunate.

Though, that hadn't stopped me from committing murder.

I didn't know what Lord Eloroan intended to do. I walked where he told me to go, until we rounded a corner. We were closer now to my room, but there were talking voices somewhere nearby.

"Stop there," he said.

I could hear laughter through the door in front of me. I thought I detected the smell of wine.

"Now, Abetha, was it? Knock, and kindly ask for Lady Leah Acavia."

I did as I was told, I knocked.

Instantly, whatever was happening in the room grew silent. Some words were spoken, but they were shushed at once.

"Who's there?" spoke a woman's voice through the door.

I said nothing.

"Well?" Lord Eloroan said from somewhere by my ear. "Tell them who's knocking."

I swallowed. I couldn't understand his game. "I'm...I'm just a servant, my lady. I apologise for the disturbance. I—"

The door flew open, blowing the fumes of wine into my nose. I was faced with the point of yet another sword. I kept my gaze down, and waited for whoever was trying to kill me now, to have a good look at who he was about to cut.

"Oh look," said someone else from deeper within the room. "It's only Waryn, Darwo, do lower your sword."

The sword retreated, and I took several gulps of air that reeked with alcohol.

"Leah," said Lord Eloroan behind me. "Would you mind telling me how she got into my room?"

"Why?" asked the one who was doubtlessly Lady Acavia. "Not pretty enough, is she?"

I stiffened when Lord Eloroan grabbed my shoulder. The Lords would play their games with servants, that was how things went. They would play their games and answer for nothing.

I began to shiver, not with fear this time.

But with rage.

"This servant just wandered into my room while I was sleeping," said Lord Eloroan. "She couldn't have known I was in there because there were no guards guarding the door. Don't you find that curious, Leah?"

"Curious? Or maybe a blessing. She looks adorable from here. Just the type of girl I like."

"She could've been an assassin..."

"Are you an assassin, girl?" asked Lady Acavia.

I shook my head, my eyes forever fixed on my bare feet.

Lady Acavia, it would appear, looked to see where my gaze was directed, because a moment later she said. "Oh Waryn, have I taught you nothing? When undressing a girl, don't start with her feet..."

"I lost my shoes," I mumbled.

"What's that, lassie? Speak up."

"I said, I lost my—"

"Leah." Lord Eloroan's voice was low.

I had an urge to reach into my pocket, for the small knife I had there. I could be fast. I could take out Lord Eloroan,  now when he wasn't expecting it, and even maybe a guard. If I were to go down, I would do it fighting.

I burned to end this.

"You'd sacrifice our deal now, Leah?"

"Waryn, we've been doing everything your way. Klesei was a nightmare, what with you going around and leaving me to clean up your mess. If I'm going to be seeing that gloom of a husband of mine, I need some fun for my sanity..."

"That's what you said last time. Remember what I said then? Are you trying to test me?"

"I wouldn't dream of it," replied Lady Acavia. "But Waryn, join us, if you're already here. And bring her too. I can use some female company."

The last comment was met with hoots of approval. And my shaking grew more intense. Let them try, I thought. They would never expect how sharp my teeth were. I would part them with parts of themselves they held dear before meeting my end.

Lord Eloroan could feel me through the hold he still had on my shoulder.

He probably assumed I was frightened.

Maybe that was what convinced him that I wasn't a liar.

That I wasn't a killer.

That I was the person I claimed to be.

"Run, Abetha," he whispered in my ear, shoving me towards the empty corridor. He took my place at the door. "Leah, let me explain to you again how this is going to work..."

I should've run. Nothing could be accomplished if I didn't survive. But, for a moment, I hesitated. I wanted to know what the arrangement was between Waryn Eloroan and Leah Acavia. I wanted to find out more.

But he noticed me, and met my gaze. "Run along now," he said.

And I knew, that in one way or another, my moment of hesitation had created a new danger for me. He saw my face.

I was back in my room. I hid my gold and my knife inside the curtain hem. I built up the fire and burnt the maid uniform in it.

I was in Lady Dylana's bed, in her night cap, in her nightgown.

In her skin.

If I survived the morning that was to come, I was sure Lord Waryn Eloroan was going to be a problem.