02

Lisa's POV

Dr. Wavy Hair (I still don't know her name even though she's my mentor. Her name is on her white coat, but I can't see it because her hair is on the way. So yes, we are gonna stick with Dr. Wavy Hair for a while) took the patient's chart on the table and gave it to me, which startled me at first but I took it from her hands before she snaps at me. I was on the far end of the room so I wondered why she gave it to me.

I look at the chart and started reading out loud, "Mary Grace Smith. 27 years old. Needs a new heart and is on the first of transplant list. Has an allergy with seafood and chocolates." Wow, God is really screwing up with you if He gave you an allergy with seafood and chocolates. "She's married and pregnant."

I was about to put the chart back on the table but my mentor spoke. "How many months is she pregnant?" She asked with a cold tone. Without opening the chart again, I said, "Six months."

She stared at me coldly like she's telling me that I wasn't done, yet I'm already putting the chart back. She's staring at me like it's a crime to put the chart back. "I need an assist to operate on her. And I'm gonna pick the best intern." She deepen the word "best" as she look at us one by one. Observing our competitive look, maybe. "Mrs. Smith needs all the help we can give her after all."

I glanced at Mrs. Smith and she was sleeping. She looks like she haven't slept for a year. She looks like she's... dying. And I'm gonna save her. No matter what. I'm gonna be that best intern. I'm the one she's gonna choose.

"Any questions?" My mentor asked and I quickly raised my hand like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. She raised her eyebrow at me then she signaled me to continue.

"What about the baby?" The other interns started nodding like they are agreeing with my question. Dr. Wavy Hair didn't talk, like my question is not finished. So I couldn't help it, I rolled my eyes and spoke, "Can her heart take it? The labor?"

"The baby is only 6 months old. We are expecting a new heart before the the baby comes out." That means we only have 3 months. 3 months of waiting for a new heart. My forehead creased, "What if a new heart didn't come after 3 months?"

"Then she'll have to choose." She said it flatly like lives were not on the line. With an angry tone, I asked, "Fucking choose what?" But I know the answer already and she knows that I know. That's why I'm mad. Mrs. Smith is gonna choose whether she'll save her life or her baby. Of course, I know that she'll choose the baby. But what about her husband? I've seen so many cliché things about a situation like this. The husband will say that they can make a new baby but he will never find another like her. So the husband will choose the life of his wife, not his baby. But the wife will say otherwise. This is stupid, bullshit rather.

Before she could even answer, Mrs. Smith started waking up so all of our attention went to her. Dr. Wavy Hair immediately approached her with a smile. A genuine one. It wasn't a fake one or a forced one. It was really genuine.

"Good morning, Mary. These are my new interns. One of them will assist me on operating. We are gonna do our best to keep the both of you alive." My fists clenched. Her words. She was acting like she was telling the truth. Maybe it is the truth. That we're gonna do our best to keep them alive but the way she said it. So sweet and kind but behind her sweet words, to me, are lies. A facade. I can't stand her. I really can't fucking stand her. How can she act like everything's fine but earlier she said that Mrs. Smith is gonna choose. She's such a bullshit. A fucking bullshit. Excuse my words but I mean if.

Mrs. Smith, though tired, she still tried to smile. And it broke my heart a little. I smiled at her and waved a little. Mrs. Smith waved back which made me smile more. Dr. Wavy Hair on the other hand gave me a death glare.

We walked out after our mentor talked to the patient. "You guys are free to do what you want but be back at 10am sharp." We were about to turned our backs on her but then she spoke again, "Am I done?" I stopped myself from groaning and turned my head to face her again.

She was staring at me as she continued talking, I stared back. I'm not backing down on this. "Answer my page if I paged you. That's it. Dismiss." We all turned our backs and when I was about to start walking, she spoke AGAIN! I wanna strangle her so bad. Patience, self. Be fucking patience. You always said that "Patience is a virtue", so suck it up.

"Except you, Ms. Manoban. Stay." The other interns stared at me with pity in their eyes and they started walking away, leaving me with the dragon. A dragon that I can't slay. Breathe, Manoban. In and out. You can do this. Control your anger. Don't slap her for she's your mentor. Don't slap her for it is your first day and you don't want to be kicked out of the program because of that.

I turned around with a fake smile plastered on my face. She on the other hand was wearing a poker face. Her cold stare will send you chills all over your body. She's pretty alright but her attitude sucks.

"What was that?" Her cold tone will never melt, will it? With an innocent voice, "What was what?" She rolled her eyes at me. Oh my god. Is this woman on menstruation or something?

"Wipe that fake smile off your face." So I did. It was my time to roll my eyes at her. She glared at me after doing that.

"What's the rule number one about being a doctor?" She leaned back on the wall and crossed her arms while looking at me dead in my eyes. I should be scared but why am I not?

"Save the patient no matter what." I said with a confident tone but she deadflat said, "Wrong!" My forehead creased. I'm pretty sure that I'm right. Come on, every medical student knows that!

When she noticed that I don't have anything more to say, she spoke with a matter-of-fact tone. "Never get attached to a patient. NEVER. Then you save their life." I don't understand where she's coming from. What does she mean? I don't get attached to anyone easily. Come on, I'm a Manoban. I don't do that.

When she saw the confusion on my face, she closed her eyes and sighed. "Just don't get attached. It will destroy you." Her voice was full of sincerity that I was taken aback. It was full of concern. Like her devil self suddenly went away and an angel suddenly appeared.

She opened her eyes and met my gaze. "They're just your patients. Nothing more, nothing less." She likes the phrase "Nothing more, nothing less", doesn't she? She likes it very much. When I didn't talk back, she spoke again, "Do you understand?"

She has a point though so without hesitation, I nodded. "Yes, Ma'am." She rolled her eyes at me after. Wow. The nerve of this girl.

"It's Dr. Park. Dr. Roseanne Park." And with that, she walked away. Leaving me here, looking like an idiot.

Nevermind that, Dr. Wavy Hair has a name. So I don't have to call her Dr. Wavy Hair anymore. Her name is... hmmm kinda pretty. I guess. It's a common name but somehow, it suits her. Because she's beautiful as a rose but also prickly. She's very prickly to be honest.

With one last look at her back, I turned around and went to the cafeteria. While walking to get there, I realized something. I'm actually learning from her, my mentor. Maybe I should call her Dr. Grumpy, given the fact that she's always grumpy. Well, anyways, I am indeed learning. And I thought I knew everything, I thought wrong.

She's different in a good way. She's... different. She's a dd. Difficult different. And I can handle difficult.