01

Lisa's POV

I was so excited going to work that I forgot to feed my cat. I wouldn't worry because mom is there to feed my baby for me. I carefully parked my car and went out. I breathed in the fresh air and I feel myself slowly smiling while my eyes are closed. New job, new me I guess.

I started walking towards the entrance of the hospital, feeling a little nervous and excited at the same time. My first day as an intern and I can't afford to be late. I checked my wristwatch and saw that I'm 30 minutes early. Better be early than late, I guess.

As I entered the hospital, all eyes turned to me: examining me from head to toe. What? Is this their first time to see a beautiful lady walking in? I know that I'm confident about my looks but hey, at least I'm stating a fact. But I know deep inside that they weren't staring at me because I'm beautiful. They all started whispering to each other after all, like I'm a new gossip that needs to be spread around. Boy, this hospital is still judgmental as I remember it. I shook my head in displease while I ignored all the whispering and just continued on walking. I don't want to make a scene, I'm not that immature.

I started walking towards where the lockers of the interns are located. I couldn't help but to look around the hospital. Nothing's changed. Same old, same old. It's still the hospital I remembered. The hospital I grew up with. It's strange to be back here after so many years. It doesn't feel like home anymore. It feels different but what do I expect? It's been years after all. I grew up and left this place. Nothing's changed but at the same time, it feels like everything's changed. I don't know if I'm making sense but that's how I feel. Being back here feels nostalgic.

I got snapped out of my thoughts when I heard this woman's voice. The voice sounded calm and soft. And I admit, her accent is kinda sexy. British maybe? Or Australian. Either way, it's still sexy.

I turned my head to see who's talking and my eyes met a brunette girl, wearing a white coat. A doctor. Since when did this hospital had a sexy doctor? I wasn't informed. I stared at the doctor as I walked past by. Pale skin, chubby cheeks and chocolate like eyes. She's tall but I'm a bit taller than her. Her hair was wavy and she's wearing a dark violet scrubs meaning that she's an attending. Dark violet scrubs are for attendings and grey scrubs are for the residents. Pink scrubs are for the nurses. She looks young to be an attending. She looks like the same age as me. But that can't be. Being an attending takes years! So it can't be. It can't be.

Her eyes suddenly shifted towards mine and that made me snap my head so fast that I thought that I broke my neck for a second. She caught me staring. Great. She might think that I'm a creep now. What a way to start my first day at my job. I started shaking my head because I was so stupid. I probably stared at her for 3 minutes or even more! I decided that I hate myself. Why was I even staring at her so intensely? I admit that she is so beautiful but duh, I'm more beautiful. But why do I need to stare at her for so long? Like oh my god. That's it, I hate myself! Why do I keep embarrassing myself?

I stresfully pushed the door of the locker room and a pack of interns are already inside the room. From the atmosphere, I can tell that most of them are nervous. Probably scared that their soon to be mentors will be cruel to them or that they will mess up on the first day of their job. But seeing their stressed faces, I can't help but laugh at them on the inside. What a bunch of losers. Why are they not confident with themselves? Like hello, it's 21st century. Have some confidence. Be bold and brave or you might lose the chance.

I immediately found my locker and opened it. As I saw my white coat hanging, I carefully put it on with a bright smile plastered on my face. More like a smirk. My name was carefully sewed with a black yarn and that made me smile more. I have decided that I will rock this job. This is a game and I need to win because I'm a bit competitive myself. I don't wanna suck at my dream job. If you want to be a shark, then be a shark. So in a world full of dolphins, I'm gonna be a shark.

I caught sight of a guy running straight to the bathroom, almost tripping. He's not wearing his scrubs yet. Idiot. He should have just worn it at home. I glanced at my wristwatch and it's exactly 7am. The door bursted open, revealing five doctors. One girl and four boys. Just one girl? Great. The women are losing. I'm not a man hater or anything, I just don't like to be around boys. They make me uncomfortable. And hmmm, men are a bit childish and cocky. If you put all the negative aspects in life, you got yourself a man. Sorry, not sorry. In simple words, men are trash. There, I said it.

I glanced around me and counted. There are 20 interns inside the locker room, including the guy who ran straight to the bathroom earlier who is still not done changing. I shifted uncomfortably when I recognized one doctor who is in his mid 50s. I shifted uncomfortably more when I recognized the girl doctor. It's Dr. Wavy Hair. I mentally gave myself a face palm when she caught me staring, again!

We've all started gathering around in the center because they told us so. Everyone's noises vanished. It's so quiet. All you can hear is the open faucet in the bathroom. I hate how quiet it is. It's making me deaf. Silence is making me deaf. Make it stop.

The doctor who is in his mid 50s glanced at me and started talking. I hate his eyes. His cold stares. It makes me want to rip his eyes off. Then he spoke, "I can tell that everyone is nervous. But above all that, I can also tell that everyone here is hopeful. Craving to save a life. The anticipation of saving someone gets you all excited, hopeful. In a game of saving lives, you want all in. It's different, isn't it? Med school and an actual hospital? You guys were nothing but students a month ago, taught by doctors and now, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. Think of this as a game." Oh it is a game alright and I'm gonna win. You made me a player after all.

"Look around you, say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play...That's up to you. Good luck because all of you will be pushed to your breaking point. " I would have clapped after his speech but too bad, he doesn't have an originality. Some of his words were from Richard Webber from the show Grey's Anatomy. Fucking hypocrite. Did he not think that someone will notice? And it's my damn favorite TV show, how dare he ruin it a little for me.

Before turning his back and walking towards the door, he glanced at me one more time. Then he left, leaving the four doctors behind. Why do you have to give me a glance, old man? Scared, much? Anyways, 20 of us got divided into 4. Each doctor took 5 of us and guess what? I ended up with Dr. Wavy Hair. Great, she's my mentor. But at least she's a girl.

She started walking away and left us here. She stopped when she noticed that we weren't following her. "What are you guys waiting for? The end of the fucking world?" She said with a sarcastic tone so we all followed her immediately. She's mean and I'm mean too. And if a mentor fights a student, the student can't fight back for so many reasons. They'll tell you cliché things once you fought back like "I am your mentor and you are my student. I know more things than you. I've experienced things more than you." or "I am your superior, have some respect!" So I should probably lay low for a while. I don't want to embarrass myself even though I have the knowledge.

"I only have three rules. Memorize them." She started as we went in the elevator. "Number one, if you need my help, just page me. It's better to page and annoy me than give me a fucking dead patient." Noted. Page than dead. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

"Number two," The elevator opened on the fourth floor. "Obey me and don't bother sucking up to me because I don't want you guys to be my friends, plus I already hate you guys." I almost rolled my eyes at her but stopped. Wow. Just... Wow. Who said that I want to be friends with her? And if she hates me, I hate her even more. And who even said that I will be sucking up on her? Like, no way. I may be cocky but I don't play dirty. We walked out of the elevator and stopped walking when we're already in front of the first room of the floor.

"And last but not the least, I don't care about you all. All of you are here to save lives. Nothing more, nothing less." Then she opened the door and walked in. We, of course, followed. Given the fact that she's a dragon. We don't want to get eaten or burnt alive.

So rule number 1: page than dead. Rule number 2: obey and don't suck. And finally, rule number 3: I am here to save lives, nothing more, nothing less. Alright, I can do this.

Even though I have a crappy mentor, that still didn't stop me from getting excited about my first day. This is my starting line and no matter what happens, I need to get to the finish line.