xxxii. | "you're the closest thing i have to a father"

Start from the beginning

Ella stepped down the steps, a reminder of what happened here in this very room fresh in her mind. It happened mere days ago. She heard Rick talking to himself, asking someone how they knew his name. She peeked around the corner. "Rick?" she questioned as he hung the phone up.

Rick turned to her. "What are you doing in here?" he asked.

"I thought you'd like some company before I leave."

Rick shook his head. "You should go. It's not safe here." he pointed at the stairs.

"If its unsafe then I'll stay," she leaned against the wall. "Rick, we need you to come back. You may be there physically when you come by. . . but you are not there mentally," she paused. "Carl needs you, and so does that baby."

Rick chuckled. "You know that baby is not mine-"

"Does it look like I give a shit?" she asked him as she walked closer. "That baby deserves a father. It deserves you. You can't just pretend she doesn't exist, Rick. Lori died for her, she wanted the baby to live, and she wanted you to be a father to her. Can't you do Lori that solid?" she asked. "Without you, the baby is going to grow up thinking what she did wrong to not have a father."

Rick stood still for a moment. "I am not her father. I killed her father." Ella froze, her face paling and the world zooming away from her grasps. She couldn't believe he said that. He tried to walk away, but Ella grabbed his arm.

"Please don't push everything away."

Rick lowered his head. "I'm sorry."

"Rick, please!" she yelled as he went up the stairs. "I need you too! I need you to be there for me too! You're the closest thing I have to a father!" she cried.

He stopped and slowly turned. "No, I'm not, Ella. Your father is right here," he dangled Shane's necklace in front of her face. "I've been meaning to give it to you."

She took the chain in her hands as he disappeared into the hallway faster than the speed of light. Ella choked on air, holding it close to her chest. She used the wall to fell keep herself up, and she began to weep in sorrow and pain.

____________________________

MAGGIE AND ELLA ended up taking Glenn with them to be their tank and plan C as he put it. They doubted things would go awry, but it was good to have more than two people together. The more, the merrier. Glenn put the car to a stop and the three got out. Ella looked at the many stores, wondering which one they should try to break inside first and which would have formula or bullets, if there was anything to begin with. Most looters would've took everything to survive.

Hopefully that wasn't the case.

"Clear outside." Maggie called out.

"Alright, let's take a took." Glenn walked over to the door.

Maggie stopped Ella with a smile. "Hey. Give me the deets with you two." she whispered.

"What?" Ella giggled. "There's nothing going on, Maggie. Just friends, that's all."

"Just friends? There's no way." she rolled her eyes. "You go up to the tower everytime he is on watch, you hug him, hold his hand, act like you're in love. I've seen how you look at him. There's no way you're just friends."