Chapter 30

"Gunnar, I don't know why you're insisting I see the doctor. I was much better this morning. I ate a full breakfast and everything."

Cassie sits atop the examination table in the stark white medical office, while I stand next to her, holding her hand. "A precaution, my love. We've been through so much. It occurs to me you haven't seen a doctor since the accident."

"About that...um, what happened to all my injuries and the broken hand? They sorta disappeared when I went through the portal."

"Yes. That can happen. Not always, though. It depends upon what the Gods are trying to accomplish."

"Oh." She's silent for a moment. "What were they trying to accomplish?"

"As my father said, one purpose was to strengthen our bond, which I believe it did."

Cassie grins. "Yeah. It did, didn't it?"

"And, I'm sure Erik's interest in Amanda didn't escape you."

"Mandie? So...are they like, um, us?"

I can't help but kiss her cute nose. "What do you think, dove? The Gods do everything for a reason."

Dr. Ralston pokes her head into the examining room as she taps the door and enters.

"Well, I have some test results."

I sit up straight. "Please, I'm anxious to know..."

The doctor waves a hand and smiles. "Ah, she is fine. Not a thing to worry about."

"She's lost so much weight and has been ill, though." Disappointment rises within me. This is not what I'd hoped to hear.

"As I said, nothing to worry about. For the next eight months, Cassie will be gaining plenty of weight." The doctor's smile is smug.

Jubilant, I shoot to my feet. "Hah! I knew it!"

Stunned, Cassie's gaze bounces between me and the doctor. Her words puff out on a breath. "What? What are you saying?"

"It appears the Halvorsen lineage will continue on. Cassie, you're pregnant. It's still very early...but nonetheless, there you have it," the doctor says.

"I'm what?" She blinks rapidly, trying to comprehend the meaning of the doctor's words.

Spinning toward Cassie, I scoop her off the table, into my arms and hold her close, my lips wasting no time finding hers.

"I'll give you a few moments alone," Dr. Ralston says.

"Oh sweetness, you are a mother. I cannot tell you how happy you have made me." It is as if someone had popped the cork on my bottle of happiness, letting it spill over like a fine champagne. Until I see her dazed expression. Then, I am gut-punched.

Tears stream down Cassie's face.

"Wait." I set her back on the table, cupping her chin in my hands. "Are you upset? You are not happy about this, are you? It's too soon." I can't stand her reaction, and turn my back, rubbing my hands over my face. My heart is cracking open. Cassie doesn't want a child yet, while I am—had been—overjoyed. Of course. This is far too soon for her. The woman barely knows me. Barely knows what rabbit hole she's fallen into since I crossed her path. Again, I've had so much time to prepare for this while she's had none.

"Gunnar." When I don't respond, she stands and comes to me, resting a hand on my back. She sniffles slightly. "Gunnar. Please listen."

Turning, I swipe her tears away, and swallow hard. I'm afraid of what she might say, but draw a breath. "I will listen."