Chapter 22

The crash of thunder and pounding rain against the roof wake me early the next morning. Slipping out of bed, I head into the living room, where the phone Erik left for me is ringing.

"Hello?"

"Cassie, it is Lars. Are you all right?"

"Of course. Why?" The rain is pouring down the enormous windows, forming flowing rivers on the glass and creating massive puddles in the back yard. It must have rained steadily throughout the night. Somehow I managed to sleep like the dead through it all. A pang of loneliness stabs me as I recall the absence of Gunnar in the house—and the bed.

"I've called several times this morning and you didn't answer. I was becoming worried."

"I'm sorry. I left the phone on the coffee table. I must have been so sound asleep I didn't hear it." I pause, a bolt of concern hitting me. "Is Gunnar okay? Is there something wrong with him?" After last night's conversation with Erik, the fear Gunnar won't recover is very real. Even though I'm not certain I belong in his world, losing him before I have the chance to find out makes me more than sad.

"He is fine. Still in the coma, but slowly improving, according to the doctor."

"That's good to hear. How are you? Did you sleep?"

"A bit last night. Cassie..."

"Yes, Lars?" The hesitancy in his voice is unsettling, and I perch on the edge of the sofa.

"The rain. It's washed out the road to Gunnar's house. No one can get through. The road is gone and it's flooded. I am worried about you."

"The road is gone? I'm stranded here?"

"I'm afraid so. At least for a few days. Once the rain lets up, workers can repair the area. I've been talking to the people in charge of roads. They are aware of your situation—that you're recovering from serious injuries—and I am assured you are a top priority. Please stay in contact with me. A text every now and then, please?"

"Of course, Lars. I will be fine. This rain can't last forever, can it?" My confidence is purely for Lars' sake. Knowing I'm stuck alone in the middle of Nowhere Norway raises a wave of apprehension. I manage to push it down—for now.

"I certainly hope not. Stay inside. Don't go outside. I will talk to you in a few hours, all right?"

"Yes. Goodbye, Lars."

Ending the call, I suddenly wish I hadn't been so hasty to have Erik leave, despite admitting his attraction to me. At least someone would be here. After a quick glance around the large room, I reassure myself. Honestly, if I can't get out and no one can get in, I'm pretty safe. There's plenty of food, a stack of firewood, candles if the lights fail, a big warm bed to cozy into. It's just that the house is so empty without Gunnar's imposing physique and big personality. And, it's not my house. Being here by myself makes me feel like Goldilocks.

The morning passes easily. By the time I eat breakfast, clean up the kitchen, shower and dress, it's midday. I'm moving slowly, my body still aching and stiff in places, plus my wrist hurts. With nothing else to do, I stand at the window and watch the rain continue to pour down unabated, occasionally whipped into a frenzy by gusts of wind. Once again the phone rings, breaking the silence and startling me for a second.

"Oh, Erik. I expected Lars."

"I spoke with him earlier. He told me about the roads. I shouldn't have left you alone. I tried to get past the flooded road a few hours ago, and it was impossible. The water was too deep and muddy."

"Oh, no. Don't do that. I'll be fine."

"How are you?" Frustration is evident in his voice. The man is beating himself up for leaving me alone. He's probably a bit guilt-ridden, given the reason he did leave last night. I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe just nothing.