Chapter 33

The woman is a natural. And a beauty. What she doesn't believe is that I helped very little. Pride swells in my chest—and below my waist. Never will I get enough of Cassie. I'm not even sure the Gods themselves realize how perfect she is as my mate and partner—in all ways.

"Why are you smiling and staring at me?" She blinks.

Her question brings me out of my revery, back to the present. "You did well on your first task, sweetness. We have one final duty to attend to. Karla should be waiting for us in the kitchen. Come."

Sure enough, Karla is there sipping hot tea, a knowing glint in her eyes, and The Book in front of her.

"We are back from the glen. I assume you know everything went very well." I wink at Karla.

"Of course. Not much happens I don't know about, Gunnar. Sit."

Karla's demeanor is businesslike. Once we are settled opposite her, she glances between us as if weighing what's to come next. Clearing her throat and taking a sip of tea, she speaks with authority.

"Cassie, today's ritual must be recorded in The Book." Slowly, she lays her hands on top of the intricate leather cover. "You are Gunnar's wife and partner. Things will be expected of you. At first, it will be nothing more than learning all there is to know. Practicing simple tasks."

"What kind of tasks?"

"You did one of those a few minutes ago, dove. Bringing us back here from the glen."

"I appreciate the vote of confidence, Gunnar, but I'm pretty sure you had a lot to do with it."

"Don't be so hasty to discount your skills, Cassie. Once I pointed your thoughts in the right direction, the rest was all you. Honestly."

The uncertainty in her eyes tells me she's having a hard time believing me. Karla opens the large book to a page with scrolled writing on it, and reads a very long passage aloud in the ancient language. When she stops, she asks Cassie, "Did you understand any of that?"

Confusion paints Cassie's face, followed by a slow realization. Wide-eyed she stares at Karla, then me. Containing my amusement isn't easy, but this is no time to laugh.

"How...how?" Her brow knits in confusion. "I didn't at first. Not until you asked me. How did that happen? You told the story. The whole story of Gunnar and I."

I'm so thrilled I can't keep my hands to myself a moment longer, and place them on her face. "I need to kiss you. You are wonderful." It's a smooth and sensual kiss. I don't want to stop any time soon.

However, Karla clears her throat. Loudly. Spell broken.

"We aren't done. You'll have plenty of time for that soon enough." A slight grin tips the edge of her mouth, despite the stern tone. Karla spins the book around to face us. "Gunnar, take Cassie's hand and press it firmly but lightly onto the center of the page. Be sure your whole hand covers hers." I do as Karla asks. "That is all. It has been recorded."

As we remove our hands, Cassie peers at the blank spot where they had just rested. "What happened? I don't see anything there."

"Everything of importance is permanently etched into that page. One day, you'll see." Karla snaps the heavy book shut and stands. "I'll be going."

As soon as the door closes, I spring into action. I want Cassie. Right now. Right here. Tugging her to her feet, my fingers tremble as I fuss with the ties on her corseted vest. When she attempts to help, I bat her hands away with a growl. "Allow me. I want to unwrap my present. I want to look at you as I strip away each layer and reveal my beautiful wife."