xxviii. | a man who survived a walker bite

Start from the beginning

Ella smiled. "That'd be nice."

____________________________

AFTER ALMOST ANOTHER hour of waiting for Glenn and the others, they heard their group panicking and yelling for them to open the door. The rest of everyone who were waiting inside the cell block immediately opened the door once they heard Rick scream that it was Hershel. Ella and Beth immediately stood up from the table as Carl swung open the door.

Ella's face dropped when she saw that Hershel was laying on a bed stretcher, blood profusely spilling from his leg that seemed to be. . . chopped off. What happened out there?

Daddy!" Beth screamed as the stretcher was pushed into the cell block.

Ella ran over to a cell and opened the door, holding it open for Maggie, Glenn and Rick. She let it go once Hershel was in the cell. She ran to his side along with Lori and Carol, Beth standing behind her.

"He got bit." Rick informed as Ella used her hand to check his temperature to make sure he didn't catch a fever from this.

Ella put her hand on Hershel's leg, her heart dropping as his blood smeared all over her hands. Beth freaked out. "Oh, my God, he's gonna turn!" she cried.

Ella turned to Beth. "Hey, hey, shush. Don't say that."

Lori was situating Hershel, and Ella with his leg. "Did you cut it off?"

"Yeah." Rick answered.

"Maybe you got it in time."

Ella sighed. "We gotta get him on the bed."

Everyone nodded. They all counted on three before Ella, Rick, Lori, Glenn and Carol hoisted him up off the stretcher and onto the bed.

Carol moved Ella's hand from the towel. She gave Ella a nod, so Ella took a step back. Carol gasped when she removed the towel. Oh, my God, that's gross and not good at all, Ella thought. "Oh, oh, I need bandages."

"We used everything we had." Glenn informed her, his own voice was full of panic and it was pretty high.

"Well, get more! Anything!"

Lori pointed at her son. "Carl, go get the towels from the back, right next to my bed!" she demanded. Carl immediately took off for the towels. Ella wiped her bloody hands on her shirt, breathing heavily. But her hands were still stained red. It would be no use to get the blood off.

Beth began to cry. "Is he gonna die?"

Lori shook her head, placing hands on both sides of Beth's head. "No, no, no, no. He's gonna be okay, he's gonna be okay." Lori pulled her in for a tight and comforting hug.

Ella felt awful for Beth and Maggie. She knew exactly what it was like to lose a father and to watch him die. It was gut wrenching, it was hard to process, you were mad at everyone and anything, you blamed yourself and the world itself. Ella never wished this moment upon the two Greene girls. They didn't deserve it.

"Can you stabilize his leg?" Rick questioned Carol.

Carol was moving his leg around, pushing a towel and a pillow underneath his leg. "I need to keep his leg elevated," she looked around. "Get some pillows!"