Zinneera looked down at her new hijab and lightly ran a finger over it. "My mother had one just like it that was given as a gift to her when she was young. Looking at it now, I feel as if I can almost smell her on it."

The Ameerah halted and grabbed Zinneera's shoulders, gazing straight into her eyes.

"It is hard when the ones we love are in danger." She spoke softly and Zinneera tried to force the memories of her family to the back of her mind, where they would not bother her. "But we must remember Allah is with them. And nothing will happen to them except what is written for them."

Zinneera nodded and took a deep breath in, allowing the Ameerah to gently drag her away.

"Have you seen Safiyya or Maha? Perhaps Ismael?" Zinneera changed the subject.

"Ah yes. That cheeky boy was arguing with a blacksmith. He desperately wanted a real sword." Zinneera could not help but smile. "His sister came tumbling after him. I told her to find an occupation for him as I have something to show the three of you."

"You do? Dare I ask what?"

"You will see." The Ameerah ended. They walked in silence. No one paid attention to them, not noticing their Ameerah under her niqab nor the pendant tucked away in the pleats of her white robe.

"Safiyya!" Zinneera yelled suddenly, exasperated at the figure looking victorious with a stick in her hand. "You were supposed to be looking for Ismael, not the kohl!"

The Ameerah led them all the way back to the house and they entered quickly, the guards seeing the bronze pendant amongst the white and grey fabric. In the entrance hall, they found Maha staring out a window, clutching tightly at the light brown satchel across her shoulder.

"Follow me, ladies." The Ameerah removed her niqab to reveal a wide grin. "We have work to do."

"Hopefully it does not entail kneading dough," Maha grumbled under her breath as the three women walked a pace behind the Ameerah. "I prefer after it after it has been cooked."

"Well I would not mind something to knead right now," Zinneera replied. "Although I do not know how edible the remnants would be after I am finished."

"You can always take your horses out for a ride if you wish to release some energy." The Ameerah called out calmly from in front of them. "You are not prisoners here."

Zinneera opened her mouth to make a comment about Khalil but then shut it. And she wondered, surely the Ameerah knew about how she had treated her son on the way here. How is it she was being so nice in return? Or was it all a ploy?

"This way." The Ameerah turned right and held a large, square-shaped door open for them. It had some writing burnt into the wood, but Zinneera could not see what as they shuffled in. Her eyes widened at the scene in front of her.

The room was the same as any other in the house, except there was a dark brown table the length of the room, with six occupied seats on one side, five on the other. There were wooden chairs to match the table and red and gold decor across the walls, cloths and paintings and several golden sconces holding lit candles as the room had no windows. On the ceiling was a large golden candelabra, providing most of the light in the room.

The Ameer, standing and leaning over the left end of the table, raised an eyebrow at the interruption and the girls found twelve male faces staring at them.

"Habibti." The Ameer finally said. "What is this?"

The Ameerah plastered on a pleasant smile and glided towards her husband. She stood at the empty chair on his left side and placed a hand on his arm.