28. I Am Not Sick

"I filed for a divorce."

"What?" I was shocked to the core.

"We were never happy together. He forced me to stay with him so that his reputation wouldn't be ruined. I thought I would have no one even if I left him. Both my children hated me and my father would tell me to make it work somehow. I had nowhere to go. But now I do." she said with a small, sad smile.

"When?"  I said.

"A week ago. I have signed and sent the documents to your father. I am not going back. I will look for a job here and an apartment. I can do this, I don't want to be dependent on anyone now." she said and a tear escaped her eyes.

"Oh, mom. It will be okay." I assured her. "But do you really think he will agree to the divorce?"

"Not exactly. Your uncle is a lawyer and he knows I am not happy with him so I know he will do something. Meanwhile, I have to look for a job and a place to stay." she sighed.

"You can stay here." I said. "This place will be empty once the babies are here and Shiv's mom moves out. I don't know about Sanjana but there will be two rooms empty."

"You really think I should stay here?" she asked and I nodded. "Thank you so much." 

She hugged me.

"Oh, it is nothing. The place is in our name anyway." I told her. She was my mom, the place was her property if it was mine.

"No, thank you for everything Naina, I was never there for you and now that I need you you are still helping me so much. Thank you." she said and hugged me, my eyes filled up with tears.

We pulled away and wiped our tears. 

"I need to talk to dad, though." I told her. "I don't really want to."

"It is upto you. I know you are mad at him but you need to let off your anger. He is your father." she said. She was right, I would've had to face him sometime.

"I know. But what do I tell him? That I am in love with someone else and am currently pregnant with his babies? I don't think he will like that." I said.

"Ask him how he is and just talk as you did to him before." she said.

"I guess I could do that."

.

"Hey dad. How are you?" I spoke into the phone.

"Hello, sweetie. I am just fine. How are you?" his voice was oddly calm.

"I am great." I said. "Um...listen, dad. Mom told me about the divorce."

"Oh, she told you?" he asked with uncertainty.

"Yes. Are you fine with that?"

"I guess. We were never really in love, it will be better for your mom to move on." he said in a low voice.

"I am surprised you said that. What about your reputation and all the things you used to say?" he always did everything either for business or his reputation.

"I don't care about that now. What will be of our happiness if we keep thinking what others will say?" he said wisely.

"That is great."

"When are you coming for the wedding?" he asked.

Shit.

"I am busy for another 10 months. I guess I will be back a month before the wedding." I informed him. I couldn't go back when the babies are new born, I would've had to feed them and I wouldn't be able to do that there and there were a lot more complications.