[13]

The news of Kehlani's pregnancy spread fast

The news of Kehlani's pregnancy spread fast. Surprisingly, people weren't horrible about it but extremely understanding. Sure, people spoke about her behind her back, but they were never horrible. Most of it was speculation about who the father was. The majority of the school believed it was Paul, they figured Kehlani didn't seem like the kind of person to sleep with people she wasn't in a relationship in. 

"How does it feel to be the talk of the school?" Andi asked as she sat next to Hallie at their lunch table. 

"Yeah, you're practically famous," Hallie joked. 

"I'm just glad no one's being a bitch about it," Kehlani admitted. "Some senior offered to carry my books to class, saying that I shouldn't do any heavy lifting."

"You really are famous," Andi replied.

Kehlani rolled her eyes, throwing a chip at her.

"Hey," Andi exclaimed, throwing it back. 

"Jacob Black is staring at you," Hallie informed. "He likes you."

"He doesn't like me, he needed help with his maths homework," Kehlani argued. "And besides if he did, he doesn't now." She gestured down to her stomach. 

"You're starting to show," Hallie told. "Only a little."

"I'd think so, I've gained like 20 pounds."

"Jesus, how much have you eaten?" Andi asked.

"My mum says it's totally normal," Kehlani defended. "Hallie, shove Andi."

The girl pushed the other, making Kehlani laugh at the pair as they began to argue. 

"How's Paul?" Andi asked once they had finished their argument. 

"I don't know, he hasn't really spoken to me in a while and ever since that dinner he's been a bit off. It's like he's keeping a secret and it's making me second guess him as a father and I hate that. I feel so guilty whenever I have these doubts," she admitted. 

"Kehlani, you're going to be a mum, you're going to be worried about the thing growing inside of you," Andi reassured. "It doesn't make you a bad person."

"Thanks for that. Anyway, wish me luck tonight."

"Can we come, please?" Hallie pleaded. 

"I've already got my siblings and my mum and maybe Paul in there with me," Kehlani reasoned. "I'll text you as soon as it's over. I promise."

"Fine," Hallie sighed, folding her arms and leaning back. 

Kehlani chuckled. 

---

Kehlani was surprised when Paul showed up at her door ten minutes before she was leaving for her scan, thinking after his avoiding her he would ditch it. So, she sat in a cramped car, in the front, and her three siblings in the back. Paul was following behind them in his own car. They made it to the doctors quickly. Before Kehlani knew it she was called in. She sat on the bed with her family and Paul cramped into the one room. 

"That's a lot of people," the nurse commented. 

"Yep," Kehlani replied. 

"You must be Kehlani. I'm Sonia," she introduced. 

"Nice to meet you."

Sonia began talking her through the scan before asking her to lie down. Paul stood next to her with her Mum right next to him. Andrea held her hand. After the cold gel was placed on her stomach the nurse began moving the device over her stomach. Eventually, the nurse found the baby. 

"There they are," the nurse told. "Your baby."

"They're tiny," Kehlani whispered. 

"About the size of a lime, which means you're around twelve weeks along."

"Are you crying?" Gabriel asked. 

"No," Kehlani replied, hiding her face. 

"Yes you are," Valeria told. 

"Let me cry in peace," she spoke up. 

"Would you like a picture?" 

"Yes please," Kehlani spoke. "Can we have two please?"

"I'm guessing you're the father?" Sonia asked, addressing Paul. 

"That's me," Paul answered. 

"You're awfully quiet," Miguel voiced. "For someone whose about to be a father."

"I'm just letting it sink in," Paul muttered.

Kehlani didn't care that he was barely speaking as she watched the screen that held her baby. She felt the hot tears as she felt an overwhelming happiness bubble within her. She made that and it was growing in her. She smiled at it. Her heart felt like it was growing and growing and she cried more. She was going to be a mother and in that moment she felt like maybe, just maybe she could do it. 

"Okay, as lovely as this is I've really gotta pee," Kehlani spoke, sitting up and wiping away her tears. 

Kehlani decided to ride back with Paul, the silence between them a comfortable one as she stared at the picture in her hands.

"Paul," Kehlani began. He hummed in response. "What are you keeping from me?"

"Nothing-"

"Paul, I know you and I know when you're lying and I know you have a secret. If you can't tell me, that's fine but promise me it won't put our baby in danger," Kehlani interrupted.

There was a pause and that was all Kehlani needed.

"Then you have to tell me," she demanded. "Because if our baby is affected then I want to know."

"I will tell you, just wait until the weekend," he replied, glancing to her. "Please."

She nodded her head.