[07]

Kehlani was sitting in her garden, watching the trees sway in the wind as she cried

Kehlani was sitting in her garden, watching the trees sway in the wind as she cried. Her mind went back to the silence that shattered her heart. Instead of feeling sad she became angry. How dare he? As her anger peaked the wind picked up and she felt her hair whip around her as the rustling of the leaves became the only sound she could hear. The soft sounds of birds were silenced. Kehlani didn't notice this as her mind stayed on Paul. It wasn't until she heard a crack and saw a small tree branch hit the ground in front of her that the wind stopped and she stared in shock. When did the wind get so freak-ish?

She stood from where she was sitting and made her way inside, pulling her cardigan tighter around her. Once she was in the living room to watching TV, the front door opened. Miguel, Gabriel, and Valeria walked in, dumping their school bags before seeing their sister curled up on a sofa, the TV blasting some telenovela she had been watching and a blanket wrapped around her. She never did that unless she was upset. They each frowned. 

Miguel was the first to speak. 

"Do you need anything, like craving wise or whatever?" He questioned.

Kehlani shook her head.

"What's happened?" Gabriel asked, moving to sit next to his twin. 

"Nothing," she muttered as her siblings all joined her on the sofa. 

"That's a lie," Valeria spoke up. 

With a sigh, Katherina closed her eyes. 

"I told Paul," she revealed. "And he didn't say anything in reply."

"They can fight me," Valeria blurted, glaring at the empty space in front of her. 

"And me," Gabriel added at the same time as Miguel. 

"Thanks, guys," Katherina breathed out, tears flowing from her eyes. Again she didn't notice the wind outside pick up or the change of colour of the sky from blue to grey or the small droplets of rain that hit the ground. 

The three siblings leaned inwards, hugging the girl, being mindful of her stomach, not wanting to course any harm to their future niece or nephew. 

They spent the afternoon into mid-evening watching movies and eating ice cream. Kehlani needed it. It wasn't until the sun began to set that there was a knock at the door. It wasn't their mom as she had arrived an hour prior and had joined them watching movies (after threatening to kick Paul's ass). She had ordered take out but it had another ten minutes before it was there. 

Valeria got up to answer the door.  Once she did Kehlani heard her groan. 

"She's not here," she told. 

"I need to see her," Kehlani heard, making her gasp. Paul.

"She's not here," Valeria repeated. Gabriel got up and made his way to the front door. 

"Please," he begged. 

"She said Kehlani isn't here," Gabriel spoke. 

"Five minutes," Paul pleaded. 

Kehlani stood and made her way to the door. She grabbed her jumper from the sofa and put it on before facing Paul.

"You have five minutes," she informed.

"Kehlani-" Gabriel began. 

"It's fine if I need you I'll shout."

Her two siblings nodded. Shutting the door behind her, she turned to face Paul.

"What?" She questioned. 

"I'm sorry about earlier," he began. "I was in shock. It's not every day you hear you're going to be a father." 

He reached out for Kehlani's hands: a subconscious action. She flinched away, moving back. 

"I thought about it and I want to help," he reassured. His words came out slow like he was unsure.

Kehlani let out a humourless laugh. The wind around her picked up, blowing the stray strands of hands around her head.

"Could have figured that out before you broke my heart again," she exclaimed. "I felt like shit because you just stood there. I have to give birth to a child and feed it and look after it and raise it and I had hope that you'd support me but when I told you and you just stood there that hope was gone. I felt like absolute crap because I thought that I had to raise a fucking child on my own and that's a pretty scary thing," she ranted, tears flowing from her eyes. "So don't tell me you're going to help and then go back on your word because that, that will kill me."

The wind was still strong -maybe stronger- making Paul frown. The weather was fine before. What happened?

"I won't, I promise," he comforted. 

"You don't always keep your promises, remember?" She spat. "You promised forever and broke that."

"I'm sorry, it was for the best. You don't understand," he voiced. 

"Oh don't give me that crap. You never even gave me a reason, how am I meant to understand?"

"I-"

He was cut off by the sound of a car. Kehlani turned towards the noise, seeing it was the delivery guy. She sighed, going to the front door to grab the money on the table near it. 

"Delivery for Andrea Vale?" The guy asked.

"Yep, here," Kehlani replied, taking the two bags of food and passing him the money. "Keep the change." 

"Thanks."

Then the delivery guy left. 

"Leave Paul," Kehlani ordered. "I'm glad you want to be involved and I'll let you come to the scan but please, for now, leave."

Kehlani didn't wait for a reply as she walked back inside with the food. It was as she shut the door that the wind calmed, causing Paul to frown again. Something was up. And he needed to find out what.