Ch. 1 ' New York?

"Your phone is ringing."

Unlike other days, my response is quick. I drop the Dstv* remote and sprint across the minty parlour.

Go.
Go.
Go. Faster.

I'm tempted to climb three stairs at a time, but decide against it. Better a missed call than a broken leg. Inside the makeshift parlour the staircase leads to, I almost collide into Sikirah, swerving just in time.

"Watch now," my cousin complains, but I don't have time to respond.

I race past her and into the passage, going towards the end, where my room is. I complete my journey just in time and jump on the bed, picking up my phone and swiping across the screen.

"Mommy," I scream, giggling and panting.

A week and three days; that's how long we haven't spoken. I had an inkling it would be her, which was why I didn't risk missing the call.

"My baby," she responds in an equally exciting manner.

Smiling, I pass the phone to my left hand and use my right hand to remove the flops I'm wearing, then throw them across the room, to the area a couch is overflowing with clothes. Instead of being on the shelf attached to the reading table, a mountain of books is on the table itself, stationed by my bedside.
Grandma will kill me if she sees this room like this.

"I missed you. Why did it take you so long to call?" I grumble.

"I'm sorry," Mom pleads. "Been busy. Actually . . . "

My eyes widen in anticipation of what she has to say, but it never comes.

"Actually?" I push.

"Um . . . how are you?"

"Actually what?" The way her voice pitched up when she said 'Actually', tells me she has something to share. "Tell me."

"I'm . . . " she giggles. "I'm . . . "

My face creases. "You're what? Is this about your boyfriend?"

Mom laughs, then says, "He's now my fiancé."

"Okay, is this about your fian" -I suck in breath- "fiancé?!"

"That's what I said."

"Fiancé," I sit up, "You guys are getting married?"

"Yes." I hear her giggle.

"I'm so happy for you." Slowly, a smile creeps onto my face. "That's great, Mom."

"I know."

"And?"

"And?"

"And . . . "

Mom chuckles. "Of course, you'll be there."

I spring to my knees, fist balled. "Yes!"

"I kn-"

"And I want to be a bridesmaid," I drag. "I've never had the chance to, unlike all my friends. Because I don't have an older sister or older cousin-"