Ch. 32 ' Chip Sean.

He comes after second period, when minutes after the teacher has left, I'm still trying to force some information about igneous rocks into my head. His face is calm as he walks towards me, his hands in his pocket.

I smile. "Pleasant surprise."

He doesn't return the smile. He put his hands on the table, bending his back so he's directly facing me. I retain my smile.

"Good morning, Jason."

I'm seeing him for the first time today, after all.

"What happened to Bella . . . "

I grit my teeth.

"Do you know about it?"

I put my head down and shake my head. My body vibrates with giggles.

"What's funny?"

"Did you—" I laugh. "Did you hear the way she screamed?" I laugh again, louder, almost tumbling down my chair.

A smile tugs at Jason's lips, but it's gone before I can confirm the sight. He stands up straight and returns his hands to his pocket. "It's not funny."

"But it is," I reply amidst giggles.

"No, it's not. Have you seen her? Her face is all red and itchy and so are her eyes. And her lens, they're ruined."

"Shouldn't you be happy to see your girlfriend's real eyes for the first time in a while?"

His eyes shoot imaginary lasers at me, then he looks away, blankly staring into the distance. "It wasn't ordinary powder, most of it was Chilli."

I gasp and cover my mouth. "Really?!" Then I burst out laughing. Jason doesn't need to know I knew that. "That makes it funnier."

He cringes, then brings his face close. "You better not be involved."

I giggle. "I'm not."

His eyes peer into mine as if searching for something. "Promise me."

"I promise. I swear on you," I say, laughing right after.

The ghost of a smile plays on his face. "You're crazy," he says, turning away.

He reaches the entrance just as Sam is about to enter, and they stand there talking for a while before Jason exits. Sam jogs to me with a bright smile on her face.

She drops in front of my table and extends her right hand. "The number. He said I could have it."

I roll my eyes. I thought she had forgotten about it since she didn't mention it all through this morning, but I guess not. "Why didn't you just collect it from him?"

Her voice quietens to a whisper. "Collecting Jason's number at a classroom entrance?" She brings her face closer. "You think I was joking when I told you Bella spies are everywhere? She'll probably do worse than douse me in coloured powder and Chilli."

I chuckle. "I doubt she'll be doing anything of such anytime soon. She has had a taste of her medicine, and is still dealing with it."

———

Lunch break comes with bad news. Rahman has been suspended, alongside a few friends. Turns out the reason Jason came to me to confirm if I was involved or not was because he was worried after finding out the principal gave orders for the hallway cameras to be checked to catch the 'criminals'— the principal's words.

"I'm just really upset because Bella should be the one getting a suspension," Mal says, her plate of mac and cheese dangling in front of her.

"I know right," Sam replies, in a likewise forlorn way.