Chapter 3

Hereford (Credenhill) UK
22nd SAS Regiment HQ
11:33

Four hours later MacDaniels was being nudged awake by the Lieutenant.
"Here we are lad. Just entering the main gate check point."
He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and noticed they only had one car between them and the two gate guards. The legendary Credenhill. Home of the SAS.
As they pulled up to the security check point, he noticed the serious and intense looks the guards wore on their faces. These guys meant business. Both guards were packed the compact MP5 assault rifle, and a Colt .45 on their hip.
Lieutenant Edwards rolled the drivers side rear window down. The guard on his sides face loosened up, and he smiled when he recognized Edwards.
"Ah... Lieutenant Edwards. Didn't expect you for another hour or so." He said, bending down to look in the vehicle.
"Yeah. Sergeant MacDaniels' plane was taxiing off the runway just as I arrived. Made for a quick trip. Now we got enough time to grab a bite." He said to the guard, and then tapping the driver on the shoulder to get a move on.
Now that he thought about it, he was hungry. Having not eaten since the night before at the Galway airport.
The SUV came to a stop in front of a large complex with a big number 3 placard on the side near the top. In front of the building was a flag-pole bearing the SAS and British flags. Both flapping in the crisp breeze. The sign in front read; Credenhill Training Course, with 22nd SAS Regiment in smaller lettering underneath. This was were he figured he'd be testing later on that day.
The soldier that had acted as their driver was already opening the SUV's hatch, and pulling out his sea-bags. Edwards had exited the other side and was stretching his legs, and loosening up tight muscles. Courtesy of the four hour drive through the English countryside.
As MacDanials made his way out and to the back. The Lieutenant pulled a key from his chest pocket and handed it to him.
"You've got an hour and half. Grab some chow. You can drop your bags in the training barracks. Yours is number four in that building over there." As he pointed to the building behind them labeled QCB-1.
The Lieutenant continued, "After you eat, meet me back here at the course. Try to relax... oh, and there is two other guys running the course today. But no need to be nervouse, because we got three spots to fill mate." And he winked, then headed into the traing course complex.
He picked up his bags and headed to the barracks to drop them off. He had an hour or so, and he was starving.

******

Captain James Pierce sat in his office in the 22nd's HQ. Having poured himself a cup of coffee, he was now seated behing his desk reviewing the files of the guys they had brought over to run the course.
It had been two years ago now that they held their last Selection testing. And they had walked away empty handed. So for that time Bravo team had ran a man short. You could say it was due to his high standards when it came to what kind of person he wanted on his team. The SAS was after all the world's best when it came to counterterrorism. And to be honest. To be the best, you had to field the best.
The team had lost a man two years ago in Afghanistan. Lieutenant Hank Warrington. He was old school SAS like himself and Edwards. They had come up together from the beginning. And had stayed together all these years. Including his former commander Captain Bridgewater. Who was now retired.
How could you replace a man like Hank? You couldn't. Not then anyway. But things were looking up. Pierce had been most interested in one Selection in particular. Sergeant John MacDaniels.
He had been keeping an eye on the young Sergeant's career after his first couple tours in Afghanistan. He had come out on top after loosing four men to ISIS Insergents in the Zagros Mountain range. Driving them back into the mountains. Become a hero in the 3rd PARA/16th AAB.
MacDaniels was a warrior. It coursed through his veins. His own father, Lieutenant Frank MacDaniels was with the SAS during Vietnam, and had fought in Korea with the regular army in his early days. Hell, Pierced remembered meeting him right before he retired in '79.
Well the young man was one step from following in his fathers foot steps, because in '09, MacDaniels deployed to Afghanistan for a third time with the 3rd PARA/16th AAB, this time as a Sergeant. This time his squad was attached to a 1,200 strong Battle Group.
On 16 May 2009, the Battle Group went up against Taliban Insergents, loosing 14 men, and many more wounded. The next night the Sergeant and his five man team was sent into the Wakhan Corridor to a series of tunnel systems the Insergents were using to lay raids on allied forces in the region. Bringing in supplies, American weopons and equipment, and stock piling it the caves. The team went in via a WAH-64 Apache troop-support helicopter on orders from then commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel SJC Tootal.
Some how the Insergents knew they were coming, or at least anticipated retaliation after the day befores raid. MacDaniels team was ambushed a hundred or so meters before the first tunnel entrance. He lost three men in the ambush, but he, and his remaining team member eliminated the Taliban Insergent camp within the caves. Sixty or so men, going down at the hands of just two men. Setting C4 charges, entering and exiting the tunnel systems like raiths. MacDaniels managed to completely barricade the tunnel system, blocking anymore Taliban from utilizing them.
Sergeant MacDaniels and his partner were awarded the Victoria Cross Operational Gallantry metal for their bravery during overwhelming odds, and completing their mission.
Men like MacDaniels were a dying breed. And Pierce had several on Bravo team. He just needed one more.
Pulling him from his thoughts, his office door opened. It was Edwards, back from London with the kid.
"The lad is droping off his bags, and grabbing a bite." Edwards said, as he sat in the chair across from Pierce, swinging his feet up to prop them on the desk.
Pierce nodded, "Good. I want to get him ran through the course today. He said, closing the Sergeants file and leaning back in his chair. "What is your take on the lad so far Simon?"
Lieutenant Edwards face split into a child-like grin. "Good lad... polite too. Elizabeth sure smitten over the lad." He laughed heartily. Then forcefully straightened face. "He has that look though. You know the one I mean Cap."
Pierce stood up, and clapped the Lieutenant on the soulder. "I'm gonna ingnore that first part Simon." But he laughted along with him. "Yeah I know what you mean... I do Simon. And you do too, mate." He said moving toward the door. "Lets go get set up shall we old friend, we have two other guys to run. Although I'm putting my eggs in MacDaniels basket. Everything about the guy I've read and heard, is he's a bad ass."