The Locked Room

I walk around yet I never moved a muscle. I thread the past over the present over my fingers, like the game of Cat's Cradle we used to play. In the distance the future makes a mad dash for me, howling like a banshee till something snaps and it falls to the floor, dead in one single heartbeat.

Never open the door. Make sure it's bolted up tight. Don't ever let anyone in.

Darkened corners whisper with cobwebs. Tiny feet scurry and leave inky black prints on the floor. In the prison of silken webs a dragonfly quivers, terrified that there is no more salvation. But I turn a blind eye. I have saved one too many dragons in my life. This one I allow to die.

Vampire teeth, they come to find it and feed from its tiny neck. I listen; I hear every one of its desperate prayers, ever one of its last heart beats.

Outside, stars torment the moon. Jealous of its radiance, they pick up stones and create a rocky rain. Chunks of her beautiful face break off and fall into the horizon where they are set ablaze by the sleeping sun. I hide away and pretend the sounds of agony are some symphony that is played all wrong.

A locked room, safe and free from the horrors of the world. Locked up tight. The mind is its own place, a master, a slave. I draw the curtains tight and close my eyes.