Abel and Cain- The First Mourning

Thoughts that swarmed Abel's brain were but a mild insignificance compared to whatever was left inside his bottle of wine. The drunken dockworker staggered behind crates left out for too long in the salty air. His dusty eyes longed for slumber and work was miles away. Abel inched down, leaned his head back against a crate and let his eyes slowly shut. Midnight harbors laid silent. The vampire was but a shadow. 

Hunger itched at Cain's skin like a million ants running over his pallid flesh. He wanted to scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch till his skin ran raw and bloody. His throat was parched. His chest felt tight. Phantom heartbeats grew louder, Cain pressed a hand to his chest, almost felt the beats.

In the night sky the moon watched, bared witness to a darkness not even it could salvage. The only sound it heard was crackling of twigs underfoot as the vampire stepped towards the sleeping man.

Perhaps once they might have been brothers. The moon thought before it hid behind a cloud wanting no more to partake in such madness. 

The vampire watched the bottle of wine roll out of the slumbering man's hand. Such rough and callused hands. The vampire thought. How vile to have to spend your life working from dawn to dusk, from youth till old age, till you are nothing but bones in a grave. 

Cain knelt before the sleeping Abel, as if one to alters, and wrapped his arms around the other man. Perhaps once you were my brother, nevertheless, the ending is always the same. Cain tasted the peppery spice of the other man's skin, the coppery undertone that pulsed once he bit. Blood dripped from the vampire's chin, rich and thick, onto the ground where it fed the earth for blossoms to grow. 

This was not the first mourning, it would not be the last.