Chapter 14

Anissa was looking over the beautiful gardens through her large window in her room. Her in-laws were loaded. They had a huge house as huge as her house was. Her room was on the first floor. She had decorated this room according to her taste though she had asked Ali numerous times that what was his preference but he didn't voiced what he wanted, thus Anissa took it upon herself to decorate the room according to Ali's taste, whatever she knew of his taste.

It had been three days since she got married to Ali. She was draped in a beautiful lilac dress, had light makeup on and jewellery. She looked picture perfect but she was upset. Ali had kept up with his habit of coming late to room. Yesterday was their Valima and again he had been so busy with his friends that when he returned to room Anissa was sleeping in her Valima dress. She had waited for him so long that she had fallen asleep without changing. Today he went to work, Anissa was hurt, he could have taken leave he had his own business and it was not difficult for him to take a break for a few days and spend time with his new bride.

"Ma'am the guests are here". The maid came in after knocking on the door.

Anissa nodded and the maid left. Guests were here to congratulate her mother-in-law and meet Anissa. She turned towards the floor length mirror, checked herself and applied another coat of rose petal pink lipstick.
She went out to meet the guests, they were her mother-in-law's acquaintance who weren't able to make it to the wedding. Anissa chatted with them for a while when her khala asked her to get ready for the dinner they all were invited for. Anissa opened her wardrobe but nothing interested her, if Ali had been here she would have asked him but he wasn't here. She halfheartedly chose a magenta coloured dress and started to get ready.

It was time to leave for dinner and Ali still wasn't back from office. Her mother-in-law told her that she and her father-in-law would leave because it was late and Anissa could come with Ali. Fifteen minutes had gone by when Ali arrived. Anissa greeted him and told him they were getting late for dinner. He didn't show much interest in the dinner but still got ready. Throughout the drive he kept silent and didn't even looked once towards Anissa. She thought he might be tired but when the moment they entered there Ali became someone else. He was all smiles and full of energy and was talking to everyone, enjoying the dinner which he didn't show much interest in previously.

"So Ali how does being married feel like?". Asked one of the son of the host.

"No no ask him how do you feel for Bhabhi?". Interrupted another son of the host.

"Okay so Ali how is our Bhabhi?". Asked the first one again.

Ali's eyes automatically found Anissa's, his stare was deep and Anissa was lost in them forgetting everybody around her.

"Anissa is the most beautiful woman to grace this earth and I couldn't have asked for better". Ali's answer was short but held so much depth in it. He was lost in her eyes, they both were only seeing each other forgetting the existence of people around them. The hooting of the guys broke their eye contact. Anissa could feel her cheeks burning, she was sure they would be tomato red by now.

Five days had passed since the dinner. Everyday Anissa would be invited to lunch, tea or dinner and Ali would always accompany her complimenting her in front of the people but when they would be alone he wouldn't utter a single word. He wouldn't speak until Anissa would ask him something and in that case too he would give the shortest possible answer. Last night when going out for dinner Anissa had asked about Ali's suggestion about which dress to wear because she couldn't make her mind and was confused about two dresses. He had told her that whatever she thinks is better she should wear that. Anissa being stubborn had asked him again after a while this time inquiring that which colour between the two colours would suit her more. Ali had told her he hadn't seen her in any of these two colours so how could he decide and to add more hurt to his answer he told her it would be nice if she would let him work without disturbing him so that he can also get ready on time. Anissa had been very hurt by his reply.

Today there was no dinner or any other social activity so Anissa decided to meet her parents. On the breakfast table she told Zarmina khala about it.

"Ali drop off Anissa to your Khala's place and then when you go to pick her up meet your khala and khalu too". Said Zarmina.

Ali nodded and told Anissa to get ready. Again he was silent on the way and dropped her off without saying anything. Anissa decided to let her mother know about all that was happening between her and Ali. After all the passing emotions between Anissa, her siblings and her parents. Anissa starting crying the minute she stepped in the house. All the memories came flooding back. She thought how easy her life was here, she never thought about pleasing anyone when she lived here. Her mother was upset that why did she come by herself, they would have invited her for dinner in a few days and then she should have come. The day went on catching up on how was everyone doing after Anissa's marriage.

Anissa saw her mother alone sitting in the living area reciting Quran. She sat near her. Mrs Ibrahim recited for ten more minutes and then covered back the Quran.

"What is it Bchaya?". Asked Mrs Ibrahim while stroking Anissa's hair.

"What Ami?". Asked Anissa genuinely confused.

"You seem to be stressed. Is something bothering you?".

"No Ami it's nothing. I'm a bit tired that's all".

"Anissa I'm your mother, I know something is making you upset. You should share it with me".

"Ami it's about Ali". Anissa's eyes filled with tears.

"What about Ali?". Worry evident in Mrs Ibrahim's voice.

Anissa told her mother everything from wedding night till now and with each passing word the frown on Mrs Ibrahim's face deepened.

It was late and Ali hadn't come to pick up Anissa. They had waited for him for dinner but he excused saying that he was busy in office and couldn't make it to dinner and would come later to pick Anissa. She couldn't wait anymore it was almost midnight so she called Ali.

"Ali I'm waiting for you. When will you come?".

"Oh I forgot to pick you up. I directly came home".

  Anissa couldn't believe it he just forgot to pick her up. Before Anissa could say anything Ali spoke.

" I'll send you the driver".

"No it won't look appropriate to go with driver this time, can't you come?". Anissa asked trying her luck.

"No sorry but I'm too tired. If not the driver then you can stay the night there".

Anissa returned to her family who was sitting in the living area. She looked towards her brother and asked him to drop her off, seeing her dropped face nobody asked anything and she went out. Mrs. Ibrahim was fear stricken. Was it history repeating itself.