Chapter 4

Zarghoona was now 13 years old, life had been good, she was studying well and was enjoying all the luxuries that her father could provide. Her grandfather had passed away and her grandmother was living with Javed and Asma. These years had not only separated the houses of both the brothers but their class as well. Ahmed was now considered a part of the elite of the town. But all his money couldn't change his healthy relationship with his mother, Javed and his family. He never wanted the household to be separated but due to everyday tension created by his wife made him agree to this demand of her. Ahmed wanted his mother to stay with him but he knew very well that she wouldn't be happy staying with him because of his wife. He couldn't control her because he knew that she had an aching hole in her heart and a little force from his side could push her completely towards insanity. The unfulfilled desire of having a son had led Nabila to become negative and she had lost her inner peace. Her jealousy towards Asma was blooming, she couldn't see her happy, this she wouldn't let any opportunity to pass without insulting Asma or causing a problem in the house. Ahmed had stayed in the same premises where his brother resided, this was all he could do to stay close to his brother and mother. Ahmed himself tried to compensate for his wife's behaviour by bringing gifts for his nephews and trying to help out his brother Javed. But Javed never accepted any monetary or business favours. Javed and Asma never involved their sons in the family politics. They always asked them to be respectful of their elders. Bami and Muzamil were taught from a young age that money was not everything and life could be spent peacefully in less money as well and the best example of this was their own parents.

Nabila's rude behaviour with others couldn't prevent all the cousins from playing together, they loved each other no matter what.
Bami and Muzamil would play with their cousins in the lawn which was shared by both the houses but today they had come to visit and borrow some books from their cousins. Bami was very fond of books and Palwasha had a nice collection of books, books that were not available in their city, whereas Muzamil was only interested in visiting his cousins and having fun.

"Baji if you can lend me books that uncle brought you last year. I would like to read them".

"Why not. Papa have brought some more too, you can choose some from those too". Replied Palwasha

"Come I'll take you to library" said Palwasha.
The same instant tea was brought in by one of the servant.

"Let's have some tea and then we will go". Suggested Palwasha.

Bami nodded in agreement and sat again.
Nabila couldn't tolerate Asma's adolescent sons so she pulled the last card and stooped low. She had always been reserved from both the boys but today she was going to show them what it meant to forget their place and enter her house. Sharing the house was a very hard compromise she had made for her husband, but she couldn't tolerate them in her home. Apart from all these reasons she wanted her daughters to be away from both their cousins.
Tea was served along with all the delicacies and all the cousins were busy discussing studies and games.

"Bami and muzamil please have some cake". Said Palwasha.

Muzamil's hand had reached the delicious, creamy looking cake when another mature looking hand stopped his'.

Nabila had a malicious look in her eyes, she had gripped Muzamil's wrist very tightly.

"Do you think you and your worthless brother are worthy of sitting here in my house with my daughters" said Nabila in a low voice

"Mama please" pleaded Palwasha

"You do not interfere, go to your rooms now" seethed Nabila

"But why"

"I said go" boomed Nabila cutting off Zarmina's plea.

All three girls went to their respective rooms, while Nabila turned her attention towards the scared and shocked boys.

"Do you know what that sofa costs that you are dirtying with your low-life dirt, never ever enter my home again or talk to my girls you stinky, ill-mannered creatures"

" Now get out" screamed Nabila.

Asma was on the verge of a breakdown, she couldn't bear to see her sons humiliated. She had endured every insult coming from Nabila, she knew that Nabila was victim of complex, thus she never paid her much attention. But this time Nabila had insulted her children which she couldn't tolerate, she had touched Asma's soft spot. Asma discussed it with her husband and both came to a conclusion that they won't ever let their sons get in contact with Ahmed's family, but what they didn't expect was that Bami would take this incident to his heart and will map out his future because of this incident. He decided to go to boarding so that he wouldn't have to see his uncle's family.

"Bami it's not easy to live in a hostel and what about us?". Asked Javed.

"I would come back in the vacations and you and ami can always come and visit". Replied Bami.

" I would have more opportunities there and I think the quality of education is far more better than what we have here". Added Bami

His parents tried to coax him and change his decision but he won.

Bami went to boarding and wouldn't even come back in vacations, life was going on and now it was Muzamil's time to follow his brother's foot steps.

Please vote and comment

So what are your thoughts so far about the story?