XX. everlasting: لازوال

please, do comment and vote🖤

Your wife's pregnancy report.

"When?" He had asked, still staring at her from the hallway as she got lost looking at her bandaged hands again.

"It's dated to a few months after your wedding."

They had a baby. His baby. Their baby. He held on to the wall for strength. Turning around he ran to the bathroom. He splashed water on his face, rubbing his face with his hands. Their baby. He needed another lifetime to come to terms with this. His world spun around him. His stomach churning with acid. It took everything in him to stay grounded in the bathroom until the wave of acute and harsh emotions went past him.

"Where did you disappear?" She looked up, hearing him walk back in.

"I was just in the bathroom." He gulped, still confused as to how to get around it. "Do you need anything?" She nodded before biting her lip.

"My hair is a mess. If you're comfortable, do you mind just running the brush through it."

He nodded. His body and soul seemed to be pulled in two different directions. His mind was snarling to ask her about it, but he had looked into her eyes. She was haunted with too many ghosts of the past and the uncertainty of her future. He couldn't do that to her no matter how much his own stomach churned at the truth.

"Sure," he mumbled.

He combed the brush through her hair. She closed her eyes, her body leaned into him. The ball rolled in his throat almost clogging his airway. He wanted to have the conversation with her. Gosh, he was desperate for it, but the prospect of actually starting it terrified him. What happened to the baby? Did he even get to call it a baby? Did she have a miscarriage? Did she get rid of it because she couldn't tell her family she was married?

"I want the time to stand still. All the clocks frozen." She hummed, reeling in the feel of his touch as his fingers replaced the hairbrush in her hair. He carded his fingers delicately through her hair. 

"Why?" He wasn't sure he heard his own voice. It was eerily calm, but there was a hell of a storm wreaking havoc within him.

"This, being here with you in the safety of our home in your arms, that's all I wanted. Now I have it. I have never felt so at peace until I arrived here, like finding an oasis in the scorching heat of the desert. You and me together, like the promises we made to each other." She put her head back against the sofa, smiling like she had found her place in heaven. Fuck, he had never seen something so breathtakingly serene than her in that moment.

"But I have made you so many promises and never fulfilled them."

"NO!" Her eyes fluttered open, shaking her head vigorously. She turned around in his arms. "You gave me my world, not just now, but since I can't even remember." Her faltering smile widened again as she remembered the better part of their childhood. "Maybe, since James stuck gum in my hair in elementary school and you spent the whole day oiling it out of my hair. Then, apparently James found gum all over his bag, books, and clothes for the next few days."

They both laughed remembering how the poor kid was paranoid of gum by the end of the week.

"It seems a story of another life, doesn't it?"