chapter fifteen

***NOT EDITED***

***Caroline's Point of View***

I stepped back from the door making room for Elizabeth to enter. She makes her way over to the chair that William always sits on when he is in here pestering me. I sit down on my bed and examine the girl I have been writing back and forth with. Her hair is blonde, but a very light blonde. Her eyes are the clearest blue I have ever seen. They almost seem to glimmer in the light. Her pale skin goes nicely with her hair and eyes. I finally decided to speak first since she has remained silent fidgeting slightly under my gaze. "Why did William say I could only trust you? Does he know about our notes?" I throw out first. "He knows about our notes. I told him because I was feeling guilty keeping it from him." She replied and I couldn't detect any sign of her lying. "Why would you care if you kept it from him?" I asked. "I...Well it's because...He..." she stumbles over words before finally just blurting it out. "We're in love!" my mouth dropped open and I just stared at her for a good five minutes. I couldn't even process what she said. Love? Is William even capable of loving someone? It obviously has to be some kind of trap.

"Ok so say I believe you, not saying I do, how did you fall in love with William?" I ask and I'm sure she can hear my suspicion in my voice. "It's a very long story." She replied with a faraway look in her eyes. "Well the way I see it is we have all the time in the world, so start so I can decide if I can really trust you or not." I order while getting comfortable on the bed. "I had just turned eight when some of the king's soldiers invaded our village. We had actual houses where I used to live. Our leaders found an old suburb; I think is what they called it, from the olden times. We found a secret room in the floor of the family room. So we found a big rug and covered it deciding to use it in times of need. My father put my mother and I inside of it before covering up the door. My mother held me close to her while I clung to the teddy bear that they had given me when I was first born. My mother had made it from scratch. "Ella listen to me, you are brave and I need you to be brave for me right now. I know this is scary, but it's going to be ok. You have Grr (pronounced like you would growl as if you were a bear or dog) " she gestured towards my teddy. "to keep you safe if your father and I can't. I love you sweet heart and so does your father." She finished wiping the tears out of my eyes. "I love you too mama. Please don't leave me alone." I begged right as the door flew open. My father had stayed outside to distract the soldiers. It didn't work though. They heard our heart beats and found the door. When they pulled us out one had my father in his arms and I could see my father struggling as hard as he could to get to us. "This is for hiding from the King." One solider said as he appeared behind my mother and broke her neck. She fell to the floor right beside me and I didn't know what to do. I just clung to Grr and my father was yelling and screaming at me to not look. The last thing he said before they broke his neck was that he loved me, that they both loved me so much. Then they killed him too." I could hear the soft sound of sniffles, but didn't say anything, giving her time to finish.

"The solider that had me pulled me outside to where their horses were. I held tight to Grr as he mounted his horse with me in his grasp. "You will make a good little maid." He murmured into my ear with a gruff voice. "Maybe when you are older you will become a blood slave." He pondered while kicking his horse into a run. I held onto Grr not wanting to lose him and let my tears fall as I realized that my parents were gone. When we got to the palace I was taken to the kitchen where I met a women named Jenny. She was kind and got me something to eat and drink. After I was full she sat me down in the corner and told me to sort out the bad potatoes from the good ones and then she left the kitchen. I grabbed Grr from off the floor from beside me and left. I wandered around the halls trying to find a way out. Jenny found me and brought me back to my room to sleep. "Now listen Elizabeth, you can't run off like that you could get hurt." She told me I just nodded and promised not to do it again."