25. Le Plus Mignon

Start from the beginning

"I will just give it back to her. It will be safe with her until I actually need it." he said.

"Okay."

.

For the rest of the day, we just lounged around and in the evening, got ready for dinner.

I didn't feel like wearing a dress so I put on a pair of olive green pants and a chrome yellow floral shirt with green details on it. Shiv helped me wear my shoes and I just retouched the make-up I had on from the afternoon. I was too lazy to take it off and would have had to put it back on in a few hours so I decided against taking it off.

Shiv wore a casual olive green shirt with his usual black skinny jeans and wore his black casual shoes. 

We didn't even realise that we had accidentally matched outfits until his mother opened the door.

"Aw. Look at both of you, in matching clothes."

We looked at each other and shrugged. We didn't care about showing our love to the world by wearing matching outfits. 

"Here, mom. Keep the ring for now." Shiv handed her the box.

"Oh. Why?" her face dropped.

"I said no. I didn't want a wedding just for the sake of preventing getting married to Ashwin. I am sorry."  I said in a low voice.

"Hey, don't be sorry. It is totally fine. I just know you both are meant to be so whenever you get married, I will be there." she said and hugged me.

"Thank you."

"Oh, It's nothing. But here, keep this." she handed me the box back.

"Why?" I was very confused.

"This ring is an heirloom. My mother in law gave it to me and told me to give it to my daughter in law. Whether or not you both get married, I still want you to have it."

"Oh." was all I could say. 

"Keep it." she reassured me.

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I will keep it safe with me." I hugged her.

"Okay now, dinner time. I made French food as well as Indian food."

"Why did you go through the trouble? We could've eaten out." I said looking at the multiple bowls on the dining table.

"Do you not know moms love to feed their children? I was happy doing this for you. I have met my son after so many years, it is the least I could do."

"Thank you mom." Shiv said and we started eating.

.

"Everything was delicious." I complemented her. 

I have never had any food that my mom made because she never did. We used to eat whatever food the cook used to make. The food that night was different, like it was made with love.

"Thanks for dinner, ma. We need to go now; our flight is early in the morning."

"But I am coming with you." she said.

"About that..." Shiv said.

"What about that?"

"We don't want you there."

"You, not we." I said and smacked his arm.

"I don't want you there." he corrected himself.

"Why? I can take care of her and the babies. You don't know anything." she rolled her eyes.

"It is just that dad is in London and I don't want you near him."