Part twelve: Playing and losing

Start from the beginning

"Oh, shut up." I said as I slapped his hand lightly, but couldn't stop a small smile. Am I flirting? Goddamnit. "How many favours are left? You said two after the first one was done, but then the bandits came."

"Three more if this one's done. I've been unusually generous."

I made a noise. "Generous, huh? Why is that?"

"You're helping Geralt, in a way that is also your debt. Also, if you could make sure he stays focussed, that would be much appreciated. He's been doing his own thing for days now."

"I'll see what I can do. I'm ready to go if you want to watch me struggle playing gwent."

"There's a dress waiting in your room, as a gift." He pressed his fingertips together and smiled at me, a more genuine smile.

"Another one? Alright, I'll go change then." I said as I stood up. Why another one? Impressive. What is the Man of Glass planning?

Once outside, O'Dimm offered his arm again.

"O'Dimm, can I ask, why the dress? I kept the previous one. If you wanted me to look fancy, I could've easily worn that one." The new costume was not nearly as chic as the previous one, but very good-looking and not a working dress at all. Working dresses were shorter and made of more practical, cheaper fabrics, as the black one I received earlier from the lovely lady. This pretty one was navy and had white lace trims.

"Is it that hard to believe I could simply be kind?" His grip on my hand on his arm tightened. We keep having these conversations.

"Not at all – when it benefits you. So that leaves the question: how does it benefit you?"

He chuckled. "Such an accusation, even though I just want what's best for you."

I raised my eyebrows, but decided to let it slide. He wouldn't tell anyway. "So what's your plan tonight?"

"The wish I'm fulfilling for our dear customer Henry is to make him the best gwent player in the world. This round is just for the players near Oxenfurt. I thought we could have some fun with it, before you're pulled along with Geralt, back on the road." He stopped walking and opened a door. "Here we are."

Before the first match – O'Dimm carried enough crowns to pay the entry fee as I definitely didn't – he had to explain the game to me. What kinds of cards there were.

"If you know how to play, then why don't you do it?"

"He knows me, of course."

"And seeing you with me isn't suspicious?"

"I'm here to support him, I'll cheer him on from the side-lines." He smiled his signature merchant smile and my heart stuttered. This was going to be a long night.

The games started. I didn't know what O'Dimm's plan was exactly, but it soon became clear. I won the first game with a little trouble. The second one was more challenging, but as soon as I looked at my remaining cards in a panic, time stopped with the clap of his hands. He explained how I could get better, adjust my strategy. He only changed the cards on the playing field when necessary or gave me an extra card. The confusion of the opponent was easy to play off and also funny. O'Dimm sent me secret glances during the entire tournament and the feeling of sharing both a joke and a secret together was exhilarating. He only intervened four times, which I thought was pretty decent for my first time playing. Out of five games that was.

The final round was with O'Dimm's 'client', Henry, who won all up until this point. At least I didn't need his help to lose from Henry. O'Dimm congratulated the man with grand gestures and words of praise.

I bought Henry a beer as a polite congratulatory gift, but also because I felt a tug of guilt at my heart. He invited me to sit with him.

"It was a good game." He said. "Shame for you, you lost."

I shrugged and took a sip of wine. "Tournaments are there to find out who's best, right?"

Henry was high on his own success and he took great pleasure in telling me all about it. I was just polite and excused myself as quickly as I could.

Happy holidays to all who celebrate!