duodēcim; look away pt. 2

They were on their own now in the living room. Connor was staring into the fireplace, and Hank was sipping a scotch, and they were both sat in the silence... until one of them decided to break it.

"Oliver can't help us, Hank. I can't believe you did that today," Connor's tone was angry. He was still not over what had happened earlier today. He felt betrayed, exposed, and vulnerable.

"---He can help us, Connor. He knows what he's doing. This is a serious thing. Your parents are looking for you, they wanna kill me, and then, people are gonna start asking questions about you and your---" 

Hank cut himself off, and Connor stared at him. 

"My what?" He said, and Hank stared back, not saying anything for a moment. "---Your... Condition," He shrugged, and his partner laughed out of shock.

"Condition? You think the fact I'm a merman is a condition?" He snapped,  and Hank just shook his head. "No, I didn't mean it like that." He sighed, Connor rolling his eyes. "I know exactly what you meant," He got up, his arm being grabbed before he could walk out.

"Don't do that. Just sit down, please," Hank looked at him, and Connor tried to get his arm free. "No. I'm going to hang out by myself with my condition," He muttered, but Hank's grip was quite hard.

"Connor, please," He said, watching him try and break free, even though he was hardly holding him. "Let go off me, I want to leave," Connor stepped back as his arm was set free, staring at him. 

"First of all, you out me to a man who -- to me -- is a complete stranger, and now it's a condition? Do you even care about me anymore?" He snapped, and they stared at each other for a moment.

"---Can you not see I'm trying to help you, Connor? Oliver is our only way outta this, he had to know about you or else we wouldn't make any progress. You definitely weren't going to tell him, so I'm sorry I had to "out" you, like you say, but you gave me no other choice." Hank was speaking down to him. 

He was adamant that they were going to be okay, but why was that so hard for Connor to understand?

"---You said you'd keep me in the loop with everything but you haven't! I've given up everything for you and still I can't get involved?" Connor asked, Hank just shaking his head.

"You're going to find out pretty soon." He assured him, and Connor just didn't believe him. He watched him sit back down and take a sip of his drink, and something in him just made him take control. He raised a hand and spilt the drink off the table when he'd put it down.

Hank watched it pour onto the floor, then looked at Connor slowly. 

"Thanks for that,"

Connor smirked at him before heading out to the front door, opening it and stepping back when he saw a figure standing there; he soon realised it was Oliver back again.

"Going somewhere, merboy?" He laughed at him, and Connor just stared at him. "I wouldn't if I were you, it's raining. I wouldn't want you to get wet," He added, walking past him into the living room. Connor stared at the rain, and decided he didn't want to leave anymore.

He stood in the doorway with his arms folded, watching him talk with Hank.

"---Have you told him?" Oliver asked, and Hank just shook his head. "No. He's been kinda... difficult," He replied, Connor staring at him, raising his hand to taunt him. "---Don't." Hank added, rolling his eyes.

"Well... I have the stuff," Oliver added, and Hank looked pleased, whereas his partner looked confused. What the hell was going on?