septem; hold the heart

He'd never been into the city before, but he quite liked it on the drive in. The sun was rising over the skyline, and it was amazing to witness.

"---So, this is my office, it's not really anything fancy..."

He was shown around the building where Hank worked, and was rather fascinated by it all.

"---It's quite cool, actually." Connor smiled at him, sitting at the desk with him. "So, you're the one in charge around here," He added, being nodded at. "Kinda. I'm like, co-leader of it all. But I'm still getting used to it, of course," Hank replied, seeing a grin on his face. 

"What's so amusing?" He asked, laughing softly. "Nothing, I'm just happy that you're all... settled in here. More settled than me, anyway." Connor said, shrugging. "Maybe I should get a job, too." He added, seeing Hank's expression. "Maybe, honey. But don't wish your life away," He smiled at him, looking over when there was a knock at the door.

"It's open,"

Connor looked over, noticing a woman come in with a smile on her face. "This came in from overseas for you, Detective," She handed him an envelope, and then noticed the other person in the room. "Oh, hello! I don't think we've met!" She smiled at him too, and Connor looked at her awkwardly, waiting for Hank to say something.

"---Oh, uh... Dolores, this is my partner Connor. And Connor, this is Dolores, my secretary," Hank intervened quickly, hearing him mumble a hello. "---Where exactly did this letter come from?" He asked, noticing there wasn't a return address.

"I'm not too sure, Detective. I just got it this morning for you. Let me know if you need anything!" Dolores smiled at them both again before leaving his office, and Connor noticed Hank's expression.

"---Is it from someone you know?" He asked, but didn't get a reply as he watched him open it and read it. He noticed him look neutral, to more slightly confused.

"---Hey, let's just go out and get some coffee," Hank spoke afterwards, shoving the letter in his pocket as he stood up. "What was the letter about?" Connor asked curiously, and was smiled at. "Nothing special, just business. Come on, let's go," Hank replied, grabbing his jacket.

Connor obliged, but knew something was up.

____________

He'd spent his day mainly with Dolores and other members of the precinct, and hadn't really involved himself with Hank's line of work. But they were at home now, and over dinner, and when they were slowly but surely going to bed, Connor knew that Hank was still hung up about whatever that letter said.

"---Did it say something bad?" He was cuddled into him when he asked the question, an arm around his waist. "What?" Hank looked over to him, but then got what he meant.

"No, it's just---" He sighed a little. "---It's fine, Connor. I promise it's fine. Just go to sleep and don't worry about it," He reassured him, but knew he wasn't believed.

"You can talk to me, Hank." Connor mumbled, now a little worried. "Connor, cut it out. It's fine, I would tell you if it wasn't." Hank replied, and just turned the other way.

Connor stayed awake, but knew his partner was fast asleep. A part of him wanted to get up and read whatever this letter said, but another part knew that he probably shouldn't intervene.

Like he said, he'd tell him if it wasn't fine... wouldn't he?