Starting the New Year

Note: Hey everyone! I hope you all have a happy new year. Thank you so much for the reads and votes. I love all of you! Let's get to OVER 9000 READS!

~~~

To celebrate the new year, L and I decided to save up our money to take a trip to New York. Let's just say, it was a great celebration, one of the best ones I ever had, and L couldn't make me more happier.

~~~

Of course, L tried to get away with going out barefoot without a jacket while it was cold outside. So I got him to wear socks and shoes, and surprisingly he even wore a hoodie.

L waddled out of the bathroom awkwardly, holding out his arms as if he was wearing something completely foreign.

"Oh L, you look so cute in a hoodie." I said, pulling on his cheeks and kissing his forehead. L blushed for a moment and suddenly pulled me into a hug.

"No no (Name), you're much cuter than I'll ever be. Let's go now." L kissed my blushing cheek and we walked arm in arm out to the busy streets.

Lots of people, young and old, crowded around in Times Square. L was grasping my hand tightly, never letting go as we slowly walked through to get ready for the ball drop.

"I don't understand the tradition here in America. Couples kiss when the ball drops. Is there a reason for that (Name)?" L asked and stood closer to me.

"Well, you don't have to be in a relationship with someone. Some people say that failing to kiss someone on the stroke of midnight ensures a year of loneliness." I explained to him, sidestepping to avoid a mother with a stroller. L just nodded and put a finger in between his lips.

"Hey L, I have something for you." L detoured to a more empty space so he could see what I had for him. I rummaged around my messenger bag for a moment and slowly pulled out a giant rainbow lollipop.

L's baggy, dark eyes widened and cautiously took the lollipop from my hand, as if it could break at any moment. I laughed at his adorable manner, and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Thank you (Name)." L said with the lollipop in his mouth. When I looked down at my feet, my attention also turned to my watch.

"L! It's almost midnight! We have to get going!" I flailed my arms around for a moment and dragged L through the crowd again.

~~~

The roar of the swarm of people became louder and louder as we moved closer to where the New Years ball drop would be. I finally found a good place for us to settle and watch the big celebration. I could see a news reporter in the distance, pointing to a large screen.

The timer showed 00:30. The excitement grew even louder as the seconds passed by.
I turned my attention back to L. He was gazing at me with a longing look in his eyes. Smiling, I took both of his hands and rested my forehead on his.

"(Name). I love you." L whispered, his hot breath tickling my nose. Everyone around us began chanting when the countdown started, but it felt like L and I were in our own little world.

"I love you too, L..." I smiled, tears of joy rested on the rim of my lower eyelid. He left a hand on my back and a hand in my cheek, gently caressing it with his thumb. We held each other's waists tightly and listened for the cue.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

As everyone screamed happy new year, L moved forward and closed the gap between our lips. Everything warmed up around me, and I closed my eyes while holding onto him tighter. It felt like I was in a dream come true. Fireworks went off, confetti rained down on us, and cheers rang throughout the square.

We pulled away slowly and stared deeply into each other's eyes. L brought the lollipop to his lips and casually licked it.

"Hehe, you're so adorable L." I took a lick of the lollipop and kissed him once more, wishing this night would never end.

~~~

So after that happened, L and I went out to explore the beautiful New York nightlife hand in hand. Unfortunately, I almost fell asleep while walking back to our hotel. L carried me on his back all the way. Before I went to sleep, I heard one last thing.

"I love you (Name). Happy New Year..."