Sugar Cubes

Today was a day where there was absolutely nothing to do. Literally. L was crouching on the sofa, piling candies on the coffee table while reading a document.

I sat with my chin on my hand, looking through some more tapes for any Kira case evidence.

"Anything yet, L?" I looked over at his pile of sweets.

"Oh, actually... Ummm... Nope." I let out a disappointed sigh, staring into space. L shook his head, reading the last bit of the paper. He crumpled it up into a ball and carelessly tossed it behind him.

"____, were you successful in finding any evidence?" L casually asked, sucking on a sugar cube.

"Nope. Most of the tapes are just BS. So far, we're not even halfway close to finding a new lead." I sighed, tossing a tape back into the battered cardboard box.

"Actually, we have a 22% chance of finding Kira, exact." L rubbed the back of his neck.

"Hmm. Is that so?" I hummed in agreement. Briskly walking over to L, I let myself fall onto the sofa. On the coffee table was a teacup filled to the brim with sugar cubes. L's eyes were locked onto the large stack he created right on the glass. Carefully, he placed another cube right on top of tower.

"Impressive. I can do better." Quickly, I took a handful of sugar cubes and stacked them in the blink of an eye.

"Fine then. Whoever can stack the most sugar cubes gets the last pocky stick." L challenged. I nodded, determined to beat him.

For the next five minutes, we stacked until the extra bag of sugar cubes was only filled at the bottom. Suddenly, the bottom of my tower leaned to the right, and everything came crashing down.

"Ah... no!" I put my forehead in my palms, exhaling deeply in frustration. L proudly took the strawberry biscuit stick and stuck it through his mouth.

"L-kun, did winning really matter to you?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Well, you're childish and you hate to lose." L bluntly replied. I glared at him, offended. "But I am also childish and hate to lose."

"Well, let's see who wins the pocky game." I smirked, gripping the other end of the pocky stick with my teeth. L looked surprised for a moment, but determination got the best of him.

As our faces inched closer together, my cheeks turned darker every second. L's blank eyes looked into mine, making me even more nervous.

Swiftly, I took in the last bit of pocky along with L's pale lips. He had a faint taste of sugar cubes along his upper lip.

I savored the five second kiss as his forehead leaned on mine gently. Just as L pulled away, the phone next to us rang loudly.

"Yes?" L picked it up, holding it up to his ear with two fingers. I could hear the sounds of someone shouting on the other end, which was very faint. L pressed the speaker button on the panel for me to hear.

Matsuda's voice cracked and shouted on the phone's speaker. "Ryuzaki! W-we saw what happened! We... You... Y-you didn't tell us! We were never aware of you and ______! Ryuzaki, congratula-"

"Get back to work." L simply said, dropping the phone back to its original position.

"Well..." I groaned, crossing my arms.

"Matsuda's being stupid again." L stated in his monotone voice. I laughed at the thought of Matsuda's reaction right now on the other side of a large screen, listening to everything we're saying.