Sleep

"L, I sent you some of the files that might be involved in the Kira investigation." I yawned, climbing into the bed L was sitting on. He was closely examining his laptop, legs crossed.

"Ah yes, I received them a minute ago. The files will give us a better lead now." L scratched the top of his head. He tapped on the keyboard with his index finger a few times and continued to examine the screen. I pulled up the fluffy sheets close to my neck, rubbing my tired eyes.

"Don't you ever sleep, L-kun?" I asked curiously.
"That information shouldn't matter to you. Maybe I sleep, maybe I don't." L said in his monotone voice. "You should go to sleep. The work from today must have been exhausting."

"Okay. Oyasumi*." I nodded.
"...Oyasumi." L replied, patting my head.
I fell asleep slowly then all at once.

~~~

(L's POV)

I watched as _____ inhaled and exhaled, sleeping peacefully. She was bundled into the comfortable sheets right beside me.
Returning my attention to the laptop, I began working nonstop.

"L..." I heard a voice mumble.
"Hmm?" I turned and looked at ____, but she was sleeping.

"L..." She sighed once more, mumbling in her sleep. I set my laptop aside and leaned down toward her face.

"_____..." I poked her cheek playfully, checking to see if she feigned sleeping. She didn't respond.

"Aishiteru*, L-kun..." ______ murmured, rubbing her eyes. I could feel my cheeks warm up a bit after hearing that. Unsure of what to do next, I stroked her hair and tucked it behind her ear. The clock on the opposite wall ticked quietly.

"I can finish this early in the morning if I increase my work rate." I thought, shutting the laptop down and setting it on the dresser. "There are more important matters to attend to."

Climbing into the sheets next to ______, I sheepishly put my arm around her waist. She must be in a very deep sleep since she never reacted. Pulling a small candy, I rested my forehead on _____'s.

"_____, aishiteru..." I whispered into her ear, staring at her sleeping face. "If only she heard me."

As she continued to sleep heavily, I took the opportunity. Moving closer to her lips, I kissed them softly. Sigh, if only she was awake. I placed the candy in my mouth and rested with ______ until morning.

*Oyasumi - good night
*Aishiteru - I love you
(Both in Japanese)