Maps

"(Name), they need me."

"L. No, you can't do that. Don't. It's not safe." I stare at L in disbelief after hearing what he said.

"Listen. If I go, then I will be able to get information." L firmly says, as his dark eyes seem to get darker. The whole atmosphere in the room was gloomy, and rain clouds darkened the sky outside the window.

"What if something happens?!" I shout at him, biting my lip. L seemed startled when I shouted, sort of like a scared puppy. I regretted raising my voice and slowly sat back down.

"I'm a genius (Name). Everything will go as planned." L looks at me and puts his pale hand on my shoulder.

"...Alright. I have faith in you." I reply after a long moment of silence. He goes silent, then recoils his hand. The look on his face clearly expressed concern, and reassurance strangely at the same time.

"Be careful, and I love you." I whisper to L before he's escorted by Watari and the others outside.

I look out the window and L turns around. He spots me and waves before getting in the jeep.
I stood there and watched the jeep drive off, until it got smaller and smaller and smaller...
Then it disappeared into the distance.

~~~

It's been a few weeks since L left the city to go search for information in another place with other detectives.

It was the brink of dawn, and I sat slumped over my desk. Papers cluttered it and a pen in my hand dropped as I let out a long sigh. The light from my lamp hurt my eyes as I sat up straight.

The sky was dark, so barely any sunrise peeked out from the horizon ahead. The digital clock next to me blinked 2:46 AM. I took a sip from the coffee mug in my hand.

All of a sudden, my computer screens beep violently and...the letter L appears.

I dash across the room to my monitors, heart beating against my chest with anxiety. I pulled on my headset and adjusted the microphone as fast as I could.

"(Name), this is L. If you are hearing this, it means Watari is transmitting this message to you at the moment. I want to let you know... That I love you."

...What?

"If you are still listening at this moment, I need you to bring any necessary things for your protection. Come to my location right away. It's urgent."

The coffee mug in my hand crashes to the floor.

I stuffed two guns into my backpack, along with a good amount of ammunition. Zipping up my leather jacket, I clench my teeth hard to hold back my tears. What happened to L? The genius L... My L...

A stray tear falls down the bridge of my nose, until it hit the tile on the floor. I pulled on my gloves, and snatched my motorcycle helmet. The coffee from my mug is still slowly soaking the floor, dripping off several shards of porcelain.

I didn't look back as I sprinted out my door, speeding off on my motorcycle down the street.

~~~

The sky slowly turned brighter as I rode down the highway, with only one goal in mind. Find L.

The tracker above my speedometer showed me as a green blinking dot on a map. I had no idea what my destination looked like. The map only portrayed it as a yellow square that left a good distance between us.

I began accelerating to a speed of 100 miles an hour, never taking my eyes off the asphalt ahead of me. The radio built into my helmet played on as I sped down the road.