FORTY-TWO: Too Long

Jake walked in and smiled. Not a lot had changed since he was there three years ago. Cooper was busy then and couldn't make it. They never could seem to get together and it had been five years since they saw each other and then, Jake couldn't stay. He stayed overnight and was gone. Ivy rushed in and hugged Jake.

"Don't wait so long!" She wrapped around him. "Are you finally back for good?"

Jake nodded. "I am. Is Cooper around?"

Ivy sighed. "No. He is working and he got a place by the river. It's a cute log cabin. I think he gets home at midnight tonight."

"Where's Lily?" Jake looked around.

"With Sebastian. They are shopping." She sighed. "Come on. I have coffee. Are you drinking coffee these days?"

Jake laughed. "I am. I gave up carbs and sugar but I can drink coffee." He sighed. "Can I stay in my old room? Just until I get settled." He warned.

Ivy smiled. "Yes. Please." They sat and enjoyed their coffee. Ivy just looked at him. He had grown up to be a gorgeous man. He grew into those muscles and added more. He got the local gossip and forgot how much he missed this. He had missed Ivy.

"Sorry I was gone for so long." Jake sighed.

"Are you staying here for good? Really?" Ivy wiped a tear. "I have missed you so much."

"I have missed you too, Mom! Man, life got in the way. I am finally where I want to be. How's Cooper?" Jake cleared his throat. He always asked about Cooper.

Ivy smiled. "He's good. Single. He never really got over you, I think. You boys were always connected. He was excited to hear you were moving back. I have to call him in the morning or he will arrest me!"

Jake smiled. "Right. He's a cop! I remember you saying that. Does he like it?"

Ivy smiled. "He loves his job."

Jake nodded. "Good." He got stuck just thinking about Cooper. He was going to see him later. He knew that.

Thanks for reading and smack that cute star right in the face.