21: You Shall Overcome - Part I

Mira Chelavye stared at Corvus Morgenstern expectantly as he wiped down a table. He turned away to avoid the intense gaze from her large black eyes, but somehow, he could feel her presence even on his back.

Mr. Stromberg came up to Corvus, his belly jiggling with his jolly gait. "That's enough for today. You can go. Don't keep your girl waiting." He gave Corvus a wink.

"Yes, boss," Corvus said with no enthusiasm. Why did Mr. Stromberg have to be thoughtful at all the wrong times? He rather wished his boss would have given him overtime so that he would have an excuse to stay and send Mira home. That gleam in her eye was dangerous. Furthermore, she was holding some paper in her hand. Whatever it was, he was certain it would spell the end of his free time for the weekend.

He went into the changing room and swapped his black and white bartender uniform for his usual white shirt, green vest, and grey pants.

As soon as he came out, Mira grabbed his hand and energetically led him out of the Cheer Haus, her light blue dress fluttering. The setting sun burned the sky with a waning orange glow, and the winding cobblestone road almost seemed golden. Corvus noticed that they weren't on the path to the library as usual.

Mira looked back at him, and she must've noticed the confusion on his face, for she explained, "We're going to my house today."

Corvus dragged his feet. It wasn't as though Mira's parents hated him despite his being an exiled noble who had the gall to stay with their only daughter, the heir to the Chelavye clan. It was the opposite in fact. He could always feel the pressure from their gaze. Mira was already eighteen, and he would be in a few months. Mr. and Mrs. Chelavye looked ready to pounce and hand him an invitation to join their clan on his eighteenth birthday, even though he and Mira hadn't said anything about a relationship, even to each other.

"Maybe you'll be more excited if you see this." She held out the flyer in front of him.

"The 1873 World's Fair next week in Vathel, Ilysveil?" Corvus read. "I remember you saying something about this."

"We should make something for our clan's exhibition!" Mira declared with excessive enthusiasm. And did she just say "our?"

Corvus put his hands on his hips. "This is a convention for nations of the world to present their technological advances. Nations. The three clans get to participate because they're the foremost drivers of magic science in Ilysveil. It's not a place for a weekend project from two teenagers."

"I think you should have a little more faith in yourself," Mira said softly. The ends of her long black hair swayed in the gentle breeze.

He honestly felt happy to hear that from her, but this wasn't a matter of faith. "Surely you have something more concrete to back this idea up?"

"I know just what we can do. A magic tech engine."

Corvus blinked. The gas lamps on the sides of the road flickered on, illuminating the rows of colorful red, green, and blue houses with warmth. "A what?"

"It'll be easier to show you what I mean in my workshop. Come on." Mira dashed ahead, her frilly light blue dress fluttering.

Corvus had no choice but to follow, panting. It was not going to be a relaxing weekend.

Past the gates and a large courtyard with a fountain, Corvus found himself in a surprisingly modest workshop to the side of Mira's mansion. Simple wooden walls surrounded the small space filled only with tables, books, tools, and diagrams. A red liquid was boiling inside a beaker sitting on a gas burner. Had Mira forgotten to turn that off before coming to get him? Hopefully that thing wasn't about to explode.