VI

Chapter Six

I was about to close my eyes when the door swung open again. To my surprise, it was Eris. She was carrying a large paper bag in her right hand. When I looked at her, she hurried to me and lightly wrapped me in her arms.

"Kuya! Thank god. You're finally awake." Eris hugged me like I've been away for so long. I didn't say anything while we stayed like that for a minute. She still didn't let go even when she started crying, sobbing. I gasped, searching for the right words to calm her down.

"Stop crying Eris. I'm not dead yet," I joked, faking a laugh.

Eris released me, her eyes were red and watery. "How can you still laugh, kuya? You don't deserve this." She stared directly at my eyes as tears continued to roll down her cheeks. "It's not your fault. I can't understand how dad can do this to you. I know he's always been mean to you but I didn't realize that he can hurt you like this," she cried out, her lips shaking.

Everything came back to me. No words could explain the pain as they continued to replay in my head. I wanted to cry, I wanted to seek help and I wanted answers why I had to experience those things but I couldn't. I had to be strong for my mom, for my sister.

I turned away and stayed silent.

"Mom woke up yesterday. She was searching for you. I wanted to tell her about what happened but dad stopped me. I know, she'll do something if she knew," she paused and took a deep breath. "No, I think I should have called the police yesterday. Dad shouldn't get away with what he's done."

"No," I said in a hard voice. "You won't tell mom or the police. Dad was just really frustrated about what happened. Besides, if mom knows about this, she'll worry and overthink it. You know that we can't let that happen."

"But kuya, dad almost killed you. He almost killed you."

I sat and leaned my back against the bed. I held Eris' hand and looked directly at her eyes but she looked away. "Eris, look at me," I urged but she refused to. I slowly moved my right hand to her cheeks and turned her head to me. "Look at me."

She finally gave up and met my eyes, "We can't tell anyone about this, especially mom, okay?"

"I don't understand. Can't we even tell kuya Allen?"

"No. Definitely not, okay? You don't have to worry about me, just take care of yourself."

To my surprise, Eris started crying again. "I don't understand kuya. Why do you have to suffer like this? Why can't we tell mom or kuya Allen? We're a family, can't we help you out?"

I hugged her and let her cry on my shoulder. "Someday, Eris, you'll understand that some things are meant not to be spoken or shared," I whispered.

Eris continued to cry for a while which made it hard for me to maintain my composure. Her sobs tempted me to cry with her, to share my tears with her but I did my best to resist the urge. I could only wrap my arms around her, telling her that everything would be okay though it seemed that those words were meant for me. 'You have to be strong, Ian, you have to,' I keep telling myself.

"I'm sorry, kuya. I was such a crybaby," Eris said as she rubbed her eyes.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry." My lips curved into a half-smile. "Sorry but you have to bear with it."

She shook her head. "No, kuya," she said, stretching her hand toward the chair that she absently knocked when she hurried to hug me. She sat there and held my hand. "You're the one who's suffering yet you still think the best for mom. You're too kind, kuya, always kinder than anyone." Her eyes were watery again. I wiped them with my other hand.