IV

Chapter Four

"Ian! Eris!" startled by a sudden scream beneath my room, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. My vision slowly adjusted as I stared at the ceiling where blue stars resurfaced.

"Ian! Eris!" another screech echoed throughout the house. I jumped over the bed, put on blue slippers, and took large steps out of the room. As I raced downstairs, my cornea almost leaped out. Dad was carrying mom in his arms. Her eyes were closed, his fixed on the thin figure before him. He jerked his head and scanned any presence in the living room.

When his gaze met mine, he yelled again, "Get the car key!"

My feet automatically moved. In a split second, they led me to my parents' room. I rushed to the side table beside their bed and opened the first drawer. I searched for the key but nothing was found. Vague images of my unconscious mother continuously replayed in my head. My mind was almost blanked when I opened the second drawer, my heart racing, my hands trembling.

"The key! Where is the car key?" I mumbled to myself, almost lacking in air.

"Ian!" Another faint scream took me back.

I took a deep breath and slapped my face. "Calm down!"

My nerves eased a bit and I stopped shaking. A minute grin curved my lips after opening the last drawer where a silver key gleamed. I took it with my right hand and got out of the room. I dashed down the stairs but accidentally missed a step.

"Ouch!" I cried out when my head touched the ceramic tiled floor. Warm liquid rolled down to my cheeks. I moved my right hand to my face and touched the left part of my forehead. The blurry image of fingers with a tint of blood came into view.

"How reckless can you be?" I complained to myself and pushed my body with my arms. The struggle to stand required so much strength, my body ached a lot after falling to the first floor.

"Kuya!" Eris shouted from behind right after I stood up. I spun my body but lost my balance. Eris hurried and caught me before falling to the floor again. She put my left arm on her shoulder and wrapped her right arm on my waist.

"Thanks," I said, pressing my weight on her body.

"What happened?" she asked as we trudged to the door. I didn't answer.

"What happened?" she insisted.

I took a deep breath. "I slipped and fell on the stairs."

Eris brushed her forehead with her free hand, "Why are you so careless, kuya? Look at you, you're bleeding."

"Sorry."

"No, just be careful next time."

Dad was waiting beside the car, tapping his right foot on the floor when we reached the door. His eyes were fixed to Mom who was still unconscious.

"Dad!" I called out. He turned his head and looked at me. His eyes filled with shock.

"What happened?" he blurted out.

"Details later! We need to rush mom in to the hospital," I exclaimed.

Because my body was not as hurt as before, I removed my arm from Eris' shoulder. I told her that I can stand on my own and gave her the key. She opened the door and dad carefully laid mom into the passenger seat. We followed. I sat beside mom, dad occupied the driver seat, and Eris beside him.

Dad sighed countless times as the car almost leaped off of the road. "What happened?" dad asked, looking at me through the mirror.

"I fell from the second floor when I ran on the stairs."