II

Chapter Two

The ride in the first jeepney took longer than the ride that morning. There was a car accident in a town next to San Carlos that added a lot to the traffic. When I transferred to another jeepney, the sun had already set and there was just darkness in every corner of the sky. It was a moonless and starless night. The wind was so frigid that it penetrated through my polo shirt as it blew through the open window of the jeepney. It was then I regretted not bringing a jacket.

I arrived at Magsaysay Grand Terminal by eight-thirty. The sky was a flickering of light and darkness as it roared, the cold intensifying by the moment. When I reached the section of the terminal where the buses had lined up, it was a thought battle. The experience in the ordinary bus this morning was hell and I didn't want another one but riding the air-conditioned bus could be an equally bad idea or worse in this kind of weather. I thought hard as if my life depended on it. Before riding the bus of my choice, I took a deep breath.

I curved my lips as I stepped inside. The temperature was warmer from what I thought it would be. Surprisingly, It was colder outside. I looked ahead, there were just two remaining seats. I dashed through the narrow way and sat at the last seat of the left-wing beside the window. After a minute or two, I plugged earphones on my ears.

"Excuse me," someone said as I scrolled through some music on my phone. When I turned my gaze, I saw a stranger that seemed so familiar to me, like we'd met somewhere though I couldn't remember when or where.

He turned to me after settling down to his seat, my eyes meeting his. The color of his eyes mesmerized me, a deep hue of emerald green. I wanted to look away but I was too caught in the moment, like everything stood still, like there were only the two of us. He did the same, his eyes refused to look away. I couldn't remember how long we stared at each other but the charm was only lifted when my phone slipped from my hand.

Adrenaline streamed through my veins as I cocked my head away from his gaze and stretched my left hand down on the floor to search for my phone. I moved my hand around until it halted when I touched another hand. It was soft but bigger, much bigger. When I realized whose hand it was, I immediately pulled my hand and straightened to my seat as I stared at the window, heart racing, blood streaming to my cheeks and ears.

"Here," he called out. I hesitantly looked back. His right hand was half-stretched to me, my phone resting in his palms. I carefully got it from his hand.

"Thanks," I said and his lips, though seemingly peeling and dry, curved into a smile with his eyes.

For another moment, everything stood still. If there were memories that were forever burned in my little gallery of photographic memory, it was that moment. Up to this day, I could still remember with such clarity the picture of his smile and all the feelings I experienced when I saw it. I was lost. I can't do anything. I can't even move. There was something entirely different in me, something much more than fascination that I'd never felt before. My body suddenly felt hot all over. Droplets of sweat rolled down in my back with each heavy beating of my heart.

"Are you okay?" he suddenly asked, bringing my senses back.

I pointed at myself with a question 'me?' on my face.

He nodded. "Your face is deep red. Do you feel kinda sick?"

I wanted to answer but it seemed words were trapped in my mouth. My lips trembled and it confused me. When I trembled before, I've been nervous, scared, or extremely cold, but now it was entirely different.

"Hey, are you okay? You're trembling." His face was painted with uncertainty and I don't know, a bit of worry maybe.

I mustered all my courage and took the most inaudible deep breath I could take "I'm fine, just a little cold." I answered, lips slightly trembling. It sounded funny. I remembered talking to some people but I could rarely recall their faces or names. Yet, he was different. It was the first time I wanted to talk to somebody else.