Battle

They took separate paths into the arena, so Taehyung was spared the embarrassment of having Yoongi see his open confusion as he was directed to a blue circle on the ground and a glass tube lowered over him. Lights flashed along the inside of the glass, running up and down his body, and a display appeared in front of him, indicated his high score. It had jumped to 4,520 stars. He hoped that would be enough. Words scrolled down beside the circle holding the star score, warning him that his power showed elements of hypnosis and illusion. That changed his rules-- if he made Yoongi hurt himself on purpose, he would be immediately disqualified. He wondered what had brought that rule on.

The display disappeared, followed by a new one as the floor began to rise below him. The duel rules, in an embarrassing hot pink font. Taehyung had to squint to read them properly.

It was simple. Each of them had three 'lives'. If you lost your footing, crossed one of the arena boundary lines, or chose to forfeit, you lost a life. You were allowed to attack however you pleased, but if you cut off oxygen longer than fifteen seconds, drew blood, or broke limbs, you would be disqualified.

When Taehyung reached the top, lights flashed again, and the star score reappeared, informing him he had jumped to 4,540 stars. As if that would make any difference. Taehyung took a deep breath, shaking his hands out. He had no idea what his power would do, and the warnings about illusion unnerved him. Was that his aura? Or had it changed with the jump in points?

He saw Yoongi across the arena, patiently waiting for the glass tube to rise. Yoongi was used to this new arena, but Taehyung was shaken by the differences. Their field was a large rectangle the size of a typical soccer field, marked by a white outline that also divided the field in half. Shimmering pink and blue energy rose from the outside lines, indicating the boundary. Taehyung looked up and saw another display above his head-- three hearts pulsing quietly. This was nothing like the fights he was used to. On one hand, there was the relief of not having to worry about blood-- the old arena had had plenty of it-- but on the other, much of his fighting style was now useless. He had to figure out a way to stop Yoongi before he--

The glass tubes rose, and a wall of water slammed into Taehyung, shoving him right back over the boundary line.

Taehyung coughed, gasping and wiping water out of his eyes, and scrambled to his feet, noting with gratitude the folding stairs that opened for him as a chime echoed through the room. He had no shields. That had never been a part of his power. He watched cautiously as he ascended, noting with frustration that Yoongi already had another water wall called up.

Maybe he shouldn't have implied Yoongi didn't want to meet V.

But that wasn't the only way he had meant it.

Taehyung took a deep breath and charged up the last few stairs, racing straight for Yoongi and ducking when he released the water wall. It slammed into him, but most of the water broke over him, and he found himself sitting in the middle of his sector, panting, soaked to the skin. But not over the barrier. He lunged to his feet and ran for Yoongi again.

This seemed to confuse Yoongi, who watched him as he approached, eyes narrowed. It was like that, as Taehyung stumbled to a stop at the dividing line and straightened, that they made eye contact.

The effect was immediate. Taehyung watched Yoongi go slack-jawed, hands falling to his sides. Yoongi took one step back, then another, slowly moving away from him, but when Taehyung stepped forward the steps turned into a frantic scramble, and Yoongi backed right off the edge of the arena.

Taehyung was stunned. The power looked so boring, but it intimated a lot, and he didn't like it. The fall seemed to have broken Yoongi's focus, and he walked up the stairs shaking his head and tapping the side of it with his hand.

"What did you do?" Yoongi demanded.

"You tell me," Taehyung said.

Yoongi looked up again, glaring, and their eyes met. This time Taehyung felt the strong slam of guilt in his body. This was completely unfair. He should never have offered Yoongi this deal. It would only end in bad feelings. He stepped back, moving away, but this time Yoongi moved toward him. No, he didn't just move. He ran. And as he ran, he called up another water wall. Taehyung moved to duck, but Yoongi slammed into him, pushing him back, then stepped back and brought his water wall down. For the second time, Taehyung was washed out of the arena.

"I thought your skill was face-based," Yoongi said when Taehyung climbed back up.

"It is," Taehyung said. "I'm still figuring it out."

"Then why did you challenge me, you idiot?"

Taehyung flinched, startled by the anger in Yoongi's voice. What had Yoongi seen when their eyes met? He remembered with a start a similar fight he had had with an illusionist, and his anger when the illusion dissipated. Illusionists showed their targets things that made them stop in their tracks, wrecked their concentration, and often hurt their feelings.

This was why he had avoided high scores. As long as all his power did was make him look more attractive to whoever he liked, he was fine with it. He could deal with such a weak power. But he hated illusionists. He couldn't do this.

He met Yoongi's eyes for the third time, but this time he didn't move. Yoongi reacted immediately, swinging his hands together and drawing water out of nowhere. Taehyung watched, awed, as Yoongi swept a hand up and brought it down, and the water slammed into him, throwing him off the arena for the third time.

A loud chime sounded, and the stairs unfolded. Taehyung shook himself off and climbed back up, returning to his circle in time to see a large gold trophy appear over Yoongi's head. He had to laugh. It looked ridiculous.

"I beat you," Yoongi said.

"Yeah," Taehyung said. "You did."

"I'm gonna make it to the top of the 10-Ks, too," Yoongi said. "I promise."

Taehyung nodded, scuffing his foot on the ground.

"I want something else, if I do this," Yoongi said.

Taehyung looked up. Yoongi was carefully avoiding his eyes. "If I win," Yoongi said, "I want to hear everything-- why you quit the arena, how you met V, and how your power works. And I want you to at least try the arena for another year."

Taehyung sighed. What were the chances? Yoongi was powerful, but he was erratic. There was no way he would get up to the 10-Ks anytime soon. Who knew? By the time he did, Taehyung might actually feel like talking.

"Fine," he said. "I promise."

Yoongi grinned. "Great," he said. "I'll see you up there."

As the glass tubes rose around them, Taehyung felt a flash of panic. What was he doing, locking himself into this promise? Yoongi was powerful. Yoongi would win. He couldn't let Yoongi win. He had sworn he would never return to the arena. He couldn't.

He would have to make sure Yoongi never got that far.

V : I'm coming for you

: I'm coming for you.