The Call

"Hello?" Yoongi asked sleepily.

"Hi," Taehyung said, swallowing hard. "It's Taehyung. Uhm..."

"Tae!" Yoongi cried. Taehyung flinched at the sudden change in volume, then stifled a startled laugh when he heard a rustling on the other side of the phone.

"Hang on," Yoongi said, cursing. There was a loud thud, then the sound of a door closing. "Sorry. WHERE ARE YOU?!"

"I'm at a hotel with my parents," Taehyung said. "I'm talking to a different therapist now. I, uh... I told them. About everything."

"That's great!" Yoongi said. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah," Taehyung said. Relief was beginning to flood his system. Yoongi wasn't mad at him. He was worried, but he wasn't angry.

"Okay, I know this is completely insensitive," Yoongi said, his voice lowering to a mumble, "but I TOLD YOU SO."

"Yeah," Taehyung said, laughing and hugging a pillow to his chest. "You did."

"So, you gonna be there for awhile?"

"They're considering it," Taehyung said. "But I don't have to be here to talk to Minjoon, so we'll probably be home next week."

"Minjoon?"

"My therapist."

"Oh," Yoongi said. "Do you like him?"

"He's nice," Taehyung said. "He's a lot more patient than my other one, that's for sure."

"That's good," Yoongi said, laughing softly. "So you'll be home soon?"

"Yeah," Taehyung said. He took a deep breath, then added, "Sorry for everything. You were right. I should have just told you."

"Dxmn right," Yoongi grumbled.

Taehyung laughed. "Thanks for dealing with me," he said. "Oh, and congrats on reaching number five. It took me twice as long to get that high last time."

"Did it?" Yoongi asked, sounding surprised.

"What, you thought V was a prodigy?" Taehyung teased.

"Uh, yeah, I did. You fight like one," Yoongi said. "It took you twice as long?"

"Yeah," Taehyung said. "Seokjin and I made a bet. Said the first person to reach the top would have to confess to their crush... I lost."

Yoongi laughed. Taehyung smiled weakly; Yoongi's laughter gave him a moment to get ahold of himself. It was strange to speak of Seokjin so casually, but Yoongi gave him the same feeling Minjoon did: safety.

He needed safety.

"So," Yoongi said. "About our bet."

"Oh?" Taehyung said. "I thought that was over. You met V, didn't you?"

"Met him and sparred with him," Yoongi said, laughing. "But I still haven't filled my end of the bargain. So. Once I've been at the top for a year... will you go out with me?"

Taehyung was stunned into silence. He stared at the opposite wall, mouth hanging open, blinking stupidly. That was right. Yoongi had said he loved him. Taehyung had been too wrapped up in himself to think about it, but now... now...

Could he go out with Yoongi?

"Taehyung?" Yoongi asked nervously.

"Fxck," Taehyung breathed, squeezing his eyes shut. He wasn't ready. He wasn't ready for a relationship, or a committment. Not now. But in a year... in a year... could he?

"Not going out," he said.

"Oh," Yoongi said. "Well, I-- uhm--"

"I'm not ready for a relationship yet," Taehyung said, laughing softly. "But in a year... can I promise that I'll wait for you?"

Silence. Taehyung waited, heart pounding, chewing on his bottom lip. Would Yoongi be hurt? Would he get angry? Would he say Taehyung was cruel?

"Dammit," Yoongi said, voice strained. "You're making me cry."

"I'm so--"

"Don't apologize!" Yoongi took a deep, shuddery breath, exhaling and sending static across the receiver. "Don't ever apologize. I get it. If you can wait for me... please. I'll be there as soon as I can."

Taehyung cursed. "Fxcking romantic," he said, swiping at his eyes.

"You know it," Yoongi said, laughing weakly. "I love you, Tae."

"Thank you," Taehyung said quietly. "I'll be waiting."

And Yoongi hung up.