Roses Bloom in the Night

This chapter is dedicated to RachelAukes  because her stuff is the good stuff. Makes my heart pound, and my blood race.

And her writing is amazingly profound.

Serious talent yo I'm shook

And comment of y'all would like. Let me know how you guys are enjoying this!

If you like and want more press dat lil star!

— scarytomato

[unedited]

"Have you no news of the human girl?" Cassion questioned his Beta, Bertholt Numin, as he read through patrol reports.

"Yes, Alpha, I've been told that she had left the human camp two weeks ago. The humans say she built her own hut some distance away from their community grounds. They say she is what is known as a 'hunter.'"

Cassion's stubbly jaw clenched as he fought some frustration. His fingers twitched and slightly crinkled into the reports he skimmed. "That woman cannot be a hunter. She is barely more than eight stone and no more than 5 feet tall."

"Yes, the humans did comment on that. They did not believe her when she said she would help hunt animals and such. They rejected her offers and made her the laundress of the encampment." The Beta's blonde brow rose up quizzically in confusion. "But then they reported that when the men came back with only a few meats, probably being used to comfortable living in the Flat Lands, they only had enough to feed the children scarcely." Bertholt put his hand to his mouth in thought. " Then, they said that a mysterious source fed the children. They said families with more children or orphans were waking up to dried meats and fresh water right outside their tents. The people were being supplemented and cared for."

"It wasn't one of our wolves? One of our hunters?" Cassion asked. It was possible one of the wolf families in his Pack Land felt pity for the refugee humans.

Bertholt pondered this for a second. His mind linking to the memories of the pack. This telepathic ability is what made his family and legacy so crucial to the pack. It was something every Beta male in his family would inherit. "None that I'm aware of, Sir. Three of the children say it was the little human hunter that brought them food at night. Enough to feed the entire community for weeks. It was why the men had recently started building houses instead of hunting. But, still, it's good some men are still learning to hunt for their families and themselves."

Cassion nodded his head in understanding. "And have the food offerings halted since the girl left?"

"Yes, Sir, they have. More peculiarly, the last offering was larger than the rest.. as if the sender knew they were going to be away for a while." Bertholt finished as he looked at his Alpha.