Chapter 17: 100 Feet Away

"Ow." 

    "Sorry!"  I sighed and shrugged.

    "It's fine." 

    Vicki had woken me up about an hour before I usually do, just so she could do my hair.  Apparently it was really "ratty" and "unkempt"  whatever that means.  But I was too tired to ask, so I let her try and fix it.  At the moment, she was pulling on it and doing her best to get the knots out.  I suggested a shower, but she said all that would do was make it worse at this point.  She pulled on another knot and made me wince.

"Ow..."  She sighed.

"I'm sorry Del, I really don't mean to pull."  I shrugged lightly.

"It's okay, really.  I just... no ones tried to brush my hair since I was 12."  Vicki stopped and looked down at me. 

"You're kidding."  I looked up at her and shook my head.

"Nope..."  She sighed and looked at me with with a small annoyed smile. 

"Del, no wonder your hair is like this.  Why don't you try and brush?"  She continued to brush it, while I spoke about why I couldn't brush my hair, or why I didn't feel the need to brush my hair.  But she suddenly stopped when she pulled the right side of my hair behind my ear, which felt weird since I never put it behind my ear. 

But I stopped talking when I heard her gasp lightly.  I tried to look back as my heart beat picked up. 

"What?  What's wrong?"  I asked worriedly.  She traced her fingers down the side of my face. 

"What happened, Del?"  I furrowed my eyebrows and looked back at her. 

"What do you mean?"  She didn't say anything.  "Vicki?"

"You have a huge scar here, what happened?"  My heart suddenly dropped to my feet and I swallowed.

"It's nothing, I promise.  I just fell when I was little, don't worry about it."  I quickly put my hand over the scar and moved my hair so it was in front of the scar.  I didn't want her to see it anymore.  "Really, it's nothing."  Vicki went quiet for a moment.  And it wasn't the type of quiet that someone is when their thinking.  I knew what she was thinking, and I also knew she wasn't going to say anything about it.

I knew.

"Alright."  She said quietly, brushing the rest of my hair out.  She finally finished, and smiled happily.

"Okay, I think I'm done."  She  told me.  "Wanna see it?"  I sighed and nodded.

"Sure."  I told her.  She smiled happily and went to grab and mirror, walking back and handing it to me. 

"Alright, here you go."  I thanked her and grabbed the mirror, seeing my hair well brushed  and straight, and it was honestly weird.  It looked really nice?  I honestly really liked it.  Seeing it straight and brushed made me smile, since it didn't look like a birds nest anymore.      I touched it and ran my hand through it.  There weren't any tangles, and that was the weirdest feeling I've ever felt.

"Wow..."  I mumbled.  Vicki smiled. 

"You like it?"  I stared at it for another little while and laughed slightly.

"Y-yeah.  It's, uh, it's really... cool."  I smiled softly and moved my hair so it was draping over my shoulders.  "I really like it."  I said softly.  Vicki smiled brightly.

"That's awesome!  I'm really glad you like it."  I nodded and brushed back the left side of my hair.

"I do too."