Chapter 7: Planes and Phobias

Thank you for 100 reads :D

Like I've mentioned, I've never been on a plane.  So doing this, I had no expectations. 

But then I got on the plane.

Getting on the plane wasn't hard.  All that happened was that we waited in line, went through a large tunnel, that was apparently floating in the air, and then we got in the plane.  I saw the tight compartment squeeze all of the seats and people crammed in.  A nice woman in a uniform pointed us to our seats.  We shuffled through the seats and I stood in front of the row.  Vicki smiled at me.

"Go ahead, you can have the window."  I smiled.  It was pretty generous of them to do that, and I was glad that I didn't have to sit in between them again.  I moved into my seat, holding onto my backpack, and plopped myself down.  The window was closed, making it look really dark, so I opened it.  The view was so cool, even though we haven't even taken off yet.  I saw the people and workers wearing their bright orange vests throwing the suitcases onto the conveyor belts, the other planes coming in and taking off, and that's when I finally processed at how fast they went.  My head whipped around when Misha sat himself down next to me.  I glanced at him and looked at my opened backpack, wondering what he was going to get me to talk about now.  He smiled at me and I gave him a half hearted smile.  He looked down at a book he had and nodded at it.  I glanced at the book, because I can't help it, and noticed one particular line.

"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were." My eyes narrowed at the book when I noticed Misha staring at me.  I looked at him and looked away.  He laughed lightly.

"Look familiar?"  I swallowed and turned back to him. 

"Uh, yeah.  Gone with the Wind, right?"  He nodded. 

"Yep."  He went silent and exhaled as he turned a page.  "This is for you."  He reached over and put the book in my lap.  I didn't really know how to react, but I mostly didn't want or need it. 

"Oh, uh, n-no thanks I already-" 

"No, this is yours."  I stopped stuttering and furrowed my eyebrows.  "It fell out of your bag.  I was going to give it back sooner, but it looked interesting, so... but this is yours."  I smiled nervously and took it back, shoving it deep into my bag.   I'm glad he found it, I don't know what I would've done if I'd lost it.

"Thanks for finding it."  I told him.  He smiled. 

"I figured that you'd want it back."  He glanced down at my backpack and saw one of my other books sticking out.

"What other books do ya got in there?"  I looked at him and then back at my backpack. 

"Um.  A lot.  Like six more I think."  His eyes went wide. 

"Six more books?  Wow, you really like to read."  I nodded. 

"Keeps me sane, I guess."  I joked.  He smiled and looked over at Vicki.  They started talking, so I mindlessly drifted away, until I heard a speaker come on with the pilot speaking.

"Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking, our flight will be departing in about two minutes, we suggest to put you seatbelts on,"  The flight attendant at the front started to show us how to use the safety things around us, how to exit in case of emergency, and a few other things.  Misha and Vicki were calm, they've probably done this before, but I, on the other hand, have never done this before, so I was terrified.  Why the hell would they tell me how to jump out of the plane and not die?  I didn't need to know that planes were dangerous.  I glanced at Misha and looked back out the window.  Oh god, I was starting to breath hard.  Eventually my breathing got loud enough for Misha to notice it.  He smiled, since he knew about my habit for when I'm nervous.

"You nervous?"  He asked jokingly.  I nodded, not joking.

"Yeah.  I've never flown before."  I mumbled.  He raised his eyebrows.

"Really?  This is your first time?"  I nodded again, widening my eyes.

"I've never done this before."  He smiled. 

"Don't worry.  It's not that bad.  I've done this so many times, and I've had quite a few experiences."  I gave him a small smile before I wiped my head around to the window when we began to move.   Even if I had small words of comfort, I still panicked.  We were moving slow?  How were we supposed to take off, or does it just lift up somehow?  These questions might sound kind of stupid but I literally had no idea what was happening, and what was going to happen.  I stared out onto the runway as the plane slowly started to speed up.  Scratch that, quickly started to speed up.   We started moving faster and faster and faster, suddenly I felt myself getting crushed, no idea what that was, my stomach dropped into my feet, and suddenly,

It stopped. 

And we were flying.