Chapter 3: What's In A Name?

|2 Days Later|

My suitcase has been packed for about two days now, and I get daily updates from Ms. Burkley if I'm still leaving, and she actually told me that she was pretty "Hopeful" about this one.

She probably just wants me to leave.

All the girls have been saying their goodbyes, and I've been kind of suspicious. I've never been gone for longer then a month, so I wasn't sure why everyone was freaking out.

"Bye Taco! Have fun in-"

"Why is everyone saying goodbye?" I asked Molly in the hallway as she attempted to walk past me, but I put my hand on her shoulder, making her stay put. She shrugged.

"Because you're leaving...?" I shook my head.

"No, no one says by when I leave, so why is everyone doing it now?" She furrowed her eyebrows and shrugged my hand off of her shoulder.

"Well according to google maps, Texas is pretty far away." My heart turned to ice and my blood ran cold. I felt my face turn white as I stood there.

"T-Texas?" I mumbled as I struggled to speak. Molly ignored me and skipped away, ignoring my almost panic attack. I stood in that hallway for about 2 minutes until I shook my head. I needed to talk to Ms. Burkley. I ran down the hallway and rushed passed Molly, who was completely oblivious to me. I ran into the kitchen and saw the door to her office. I busted in and looked at her anxiously. She was re lighting a cigarette in her mouth as she ignored me.

"Ms Burkley?! Why am I going to Texas?!" She glanced at me and puffed out a ring of smoke, blowing it into my face. I blinked at the burned air.

"Why do ya care?" She asked blankley. "You hate this place, don't cha?" I blinked in surprisement and stuttered to answer.

"W-well, I just- I didn't- I didn't think- But- But it's so far! Texas is at least 1,700 miles away! I thought I was only allowed to stay inside the state unless they adopted me-" I froze at the sudden realization. She laughed at my shocked face.

"You didn't get adopted kid. They just paid me a lot." I sighed, somewhat relieved. Would it be that bad to get adopted? She shook her head and grabbed a piece of paper lying next to her ashtray.

"I figured out their name. Collins. Their last name." She sat the paper down and looked at me.

"Why- why would they want a kid from New Jersey?"  Ms Burkley puffed out a ring of smoke, inhaling slightly.

"They knew your parents." 

I could feel my brain stop as my blood rushed out from my head. 

"Anything else?" She asked in annoyance. I shook my head, not really knowing what I was doing. She smirked.

"Good. Now leave." I nodded and walked out of her office, still not believing that all of this was happening. I stepped out and shut the door, and slid to the floor againest it. I wanted to cry, badly. But I didn't. Not here. What kind of family wants a kid 1,700 miles away?!

"Whoa, are you ok?" I looked up and saw Kate crouch down next to me, keeping her hands at her side. I shook my head.

"My foster family lives all the way in Texas." I mumbled. She sighed and looked at the ground.

"You gotta be hopeful, ok? You have to be hopeful about this." I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"When am I ever hopeful?" She glared at me and and I looked back down.

"I know you hate being to far from... here... but you need to hope for the best, ok?" I sniffed, begging myself not to cry, and nodded. She raised her eyebrows.

"Ok?" I nodded again.

"Ok." She smiled lightly.

"I am not glass." I scoffed.

"Oh, c'mon, not this."

"Just, say it." She looked at me sternly. I rolled my eyes. We spoke in unison.

"I am not glass, you will not break me. I am not glass, you will not break me. I am not glass, you will not break me. I am not glass, you will not break me. I am not glass, you will not break me."

I inhaled deeply.

"I am a nail..." I mumbled. She slapped my shoulder.

"That's right!" She yelled. I couldn't help but smile. She always knows how to make me smile.

"Thanks Kate."

"No problem,

Delaney."