Chapter 2: Try Not To Get Beaten

I hurriedly ran downstairs and slid on the tile towards her office. I opened the door and saw her re lighting her cigarette. I held my breath and fixed my stance so I was standing "Respectively."

"Yes Ms. Burkley?" I mumbled. She stared at me for a moment before picking up a piece of paper lying on her desk and slipping on massive black glasses. My stomach jumped back into my throat.

     "You've got a'notha fosta' family." I sighed angrily, but quiet enough so she couldn't hear me.

     "They're comin in three days." I breathed in deeply, trying to approach this the best way possible.

     "Do you know they're names?" She puffed some smoke from her cigarette.

     "No clue. Hey, try not to come back with a broken wrist again, ok? The medical bill was hell and the cash is comin out of your ass." I squeezed my eyes shut and held in my anger.

     "Yes ma'am." And with a flick of her wrist, it was my cue to leave. I walked out of her office, which was also her bedroom, and went to the kitchen. Maybe something to eat will calm me down. Kate caught my eye and she smiled lightly at me, asking me with her eyes if it was good news. I looked down and turned away and from her, walking towards the kitchen, where one of the girls, who I think is named Tessa or something, was sweeping. I stepped over the pile of dust and crap, walking over towards the fridge. Kate walked into the kitchen and tapped my shoulder as I opened the fridge.

     "You good?" I gripped the fridge handle and shook my head.

     "No, Kate. I'm not good." Her hand came off my shoulder and she figured it out, but she asked anyway.

     "Why?" She mumbled.

     "I have another foster family. They're coming in three days and the bruises from the last one hasn't even healed yet!" I slammed the fridge shut, and heard all the clinking glass bottles stumble around inside. She sighed behind me as I stormed back to my room.

     "Well, maybe they won't be as bad this time. Maybe they'll-" I slammed the door shut in her face and she sighed. Her anger was starting to boil. She opened the door and I slammed myself onto my bed. She stared at me from the doorway and sighed loudly.

     "Just try not to piss them off, ok? Maybe they... they won't hurt you." I folded my arms and looked out my window. Best view in this dump. She looked at me sympathetically and waited for me to talk. But I didn't. She glanced behind herself and shut the door behind her, waking inside.

     "I don't wanna pep talk Kate." She shook her head.

     "I'm not given you a pep talk. I want you to try your moves on me." I looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

     "You sure? Last time I did you got a black eye." She shrugged.

     "Just do it." I've been learning how to defend myself for ages, and I've used it for every foster home. Kate started it all, but I perfected it. She held her arm out. I shook my head.

     "The other one." I turned around and waited for her cue. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and I flipped around, grabbing her wrist and putting my hand on the back of her head, slamming it into the bed, but not as hard as I would of this was real. I smiled and she sat up with a small smile.

     "Nice job." She told me. I nodded. She stood up and brushed her shirt off.

     "I'm gonna go finish cleaning, alright? You should pack." I nodded, even though they weren't going to be here for three days.

     Here we go again.